Pompeii House recreated

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Archaeologists Virtually Recreate House of Caecilius Iucundus in Pompeii | Archaeology | Sci-News.com

Archaeologists Virtually Recreate House of Caecilius Iucundus in Pompeii

An international team of researchers led by Lund University archaeologists has virtually reconstructed a large house of the Pompeian banker Lucius Caecilius Iucundus. A research paper about the virtual reconstruction is published in the journal SCIRES-IT.

After the 1980 earthquake in Italy, the Pompeii curator invited the international scientific community to help document the ancient Roman town. The Swedish Pompeii Project was therefore started at the Swedish Institute in Rome in 2000.

The goal of the project was to survey, record and analyze an entire Pompeian city-block, Insula V1.

The district was scanned during the field work in 2011–2012 and the first 3D models of the town have now been completed.

The models show what life was like for the people of Pompeii before the volcano eruption of Mount Vesuvius.

The archaeologists have even managed to complete a detailed 3D reconstruction of the House of Caecilius Iucundus.

Open Link for pics and full story

I was lucky to see the Pompeii exhibit as a kid at the Field Museum in Chicago. Creepy. Like King Tut creepy. The museum was named after Marshall Field, the department store guy , who built it as a permanent structure for the 1893 World's Fair.

Reactions: Lynne
I was lucky to see the Pompeii exhibit as a kid at the Field Museum in Chicago. Creepy. Like King Tut creepy. The museum was named after Marshall Field, the department store guy , who built it as a permanent structure for the 1893 World's Fair.
I love the Field Museum. Used to be a great treat to go there during the summers. That and the Science Museum were high on the list of fun places to go.

I saw the King Tut exhibit as a kid. That was fascinating, but yes, creepy.

Cool, Paint! Yes, those casts of the peoples' bodies are very creepy and sad. Fortunately they were preserved though, when they realized they kept hitting pockets in the overburden, which actually were the hollow spaces that were once people. Wish I would have seen this exhibit, but I did get to see the King Tut exhibit in Seattle many, many years ago.

He's a cool story. I'd love to see it