Poltergeits???

TexDanm

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Poltergeists…What do you think causes the poltergeist sort of activity? Is it haunting, evil spirits, overactive imaginations, mental illness, Someone doing it for laughs or attention, or some sort of inadvertent paranormal thing that is tied to an individual?

Off and on I have experienced a lot of various poltergeist type activity. Things are always disappearing and then sometimes showing back up later someplace that I KNOW that I had look at while searching. It is normal for things to fall off of tables and shelves when nobody is even close to it. I have had a ceiling fan suddenly fall off the ceiling and a mirror in the guest bathroom fall off the wall just as examples.

Honestly, when I was young I thought that I was crazy!!! I have theories but want to know what you all think.

The only theories that I have heard of were the ones where adolescents are blamed, or the ones where deceased loved ones are trying to get your attention. I am curious as to what your theory might be!

I've heard teenager's energy attracts this kind of activity and manifests itself.I've experienced bad poltergeist presence in a very disfunctional home of a friend where knives were thrown out of nowhere and multiple other weird happenings.In this case I believe it was attracted to the extreme negativity and hopelessness of the family.

I would think that you would first rule out any natural explanations like structural problems in the house, items being placed in a precarious position, rodents, memory lapses or just what I call looking too hard. The last one is interesting as I have discovered for myself that there is a certain art or technique to finding lost items. For me there is a certain limit to the amount of effort and attention I can put on trying to find something before I become frustrated and tense. The result is a form of mental tunnel vision that virtually guarantees that I will not find what I am looking for. When I feel that coming on I take a deep breath, let go, stop looking and turn my attention to something else. Only when I return back to a state of relaxation do I begin to search again, but this time in a relaxed and methodical way. And that is when whatever I'm looking for invariably turns up. I could sum it up I suppose by saying that there is a Zen to finding things. There's a lot of power in that notion. I'm also guessing that when things that you've lost later show up for you, that you have probably gone through the steps I've just described, but maybe unconsciously. Anyway, that's my theory and solution.

Reactions: ozentity
I have searched for missing things in all kinds of head space, and still they remain missing. I have asked nicely (just in case its a paranormal happening) but some brand new things have vanished, and not been found. Now that we are packing up to move away, they should have turned up, but nope! I have become resigned to buying replacements for some of the items. The others are irreplaceable.

OTOH, I have found that by calming down other things that I thought were missing, have been found.

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
Over the years I have had many theories. Maybe I'm crazy, Somebody up there doesn't like me very much, something out there has a warped sense of humor, the angst of youth for a while but now I am only young at heart and it still is happening though not quite as often.

I have had some serious discussions with the powers that might be about this and determined that I have actually been a lot more often blessed than cursed, almost always blessed in the things that really matter, and so looked elsewhere. I am a bit crazy but not out of touch with reality so it isn't hallucinatory.

In the end, I have about decided that it is a sort of overflow of some sort of power that I think that each person has for a certain amount of control over their reality. A person is of many minds at times. Your emotions can often make you have several reactions to a single happening. You can go through mad, sad, forgiving and then sometimes laughter as you process something that at first bothered you. Sometimes for a flash, you will have a wave of murderous anger. Most people quickly set that aside and don't act on it.

We are each different and in this group, many of us have more differences from the average than you would find in most randomly gathered groups. I have over the years had several sorts of paranormal experiences ranging from clairvoyance through a few PK things, and seen things that others might not be able to perceive. When I was young I tended to see people as having a color around them that was different from person to person. I now suspect that I was seeing auras. As I got older that seemed to fade away but I still, if I think about someone, I will find myself thinking of them as being associated with a color. I think that is part of what your brain does as you age. It programs filters that eliminate the "unnecessary" bits of information. When you are driving a car you SEE the license plate number on every car that you pass. this is information that is filtered out long before it makes an impression on your mind.

Children, I believe, see, sense and maybe are able to do all sorts of things that become filtered out as they get older. My little brother was profoundly retarded and had the mind of a small toddler. He never learned to talk, couldn't feed or dress himself and was never potty trained. You could not hide from him. You couldn't hide his candy from him either. You could put it someplace and then when he wanted it he went to where ever you had put it with no way of knowing where it was by normal means. When he was little he liked to follow me around and we would play a sort of hide-and-seek but no matter what he could come to where I was and then just sit and wait for me to come out. He kept the mind of a child and so never outgrew the childlike mental state. He was also like a cat in that he seemed to often see things and be fascinated by something that no one but he could see.

In each of us there are still all those abilities that we set aside as other more important things occupied our minds. You don't need to be telepathic if you can talk and hear. Empathy is not the same as what kids seem to be able to do. They often seem to know immediately if you are a good person that likes kids or if you are a mean person that doesn't like them. you can't fool them. Later you shed this ability and replace it with experience-based and information based judgments and can be fooled.

I for several reasons have not left all of my childish abilities behind. I all too often KNOW things either before they could be known or about people that I have no way of knowing these things. I think that the poltergeist things are the result of a part of me that developed before my adult mind filtered it totally out is still active and is the cause of most of this. I suspect that it has to do with a childish way to deal with stress and frustration. My adult conscious mind doesn't allow tantrums or fits. I was always bad about repressing my feelings. I was not supposed to cry. My Dad would whip me for crying because of emotional things. I was a grown man before I learned how to cry even when my heart was broken.

That latent ability that all children have to some extent still exists in me. It is still driven by childish needs and emotional motivations BUT is now powered by an adult mind. When something happens I will try to look into the recent past and see if there has been something that bothered me to some extent that I had just "allowed" as adults do. More often than not I can spot something. as I am getting older I have more time than I used to have for the simple things. I'm retired and so can sit and think without knowing that there are a lot of things that I SHOULD be doing. This has allowed me to sort of make peace with my inner self and the poltergeist things are not happening as often. I'm also getting better at just shrugging and thinking "Whatever" when something disappears.

I spend a lot of time pondering. That is when you just sit and think while allowing your mind to wander. I have always done a lot of this but now I seem to be coming to a better understanding of myself and my past. I write a LOT. As of last week, I have written a million words in a little less than a year. When I write I seem to be able to allow a merging of my personas. This also seems to bring peace to my soul. Maybe my somewhat hyperactive inner child finds release now from us annoying people all over the world as I scatter my "humble" opinions all over the internet. Maybe my wandering missives are my therapy for my frustrations. Things are pretty good these days. My poltergeist seems to be happy with just little things like a mischevious brat than being destructive and constantly wanting attention.

I can easily believe that most poltergeist activity may be related to adolescent kids. Those are VERY stressful times as you become more personally aware and begin to chafe against the rules and restriction that caring adults place on you...and then PUBERTY hits... Some of us for various reasons carry some of this on into our adulthood. I believe that there may be a connection between this sort of activity and depression. You are trying to cope. Most outgrow this as the angst of puberty fade but some may incorporate this into their developing adult program and so have this to deal with.

>>>...or maybe I am just crazy...

All I can do is guess, so here goes. I think that there are different types, like the one that threw knives at Oz. I would call that demonic, but 99% of them are just spirits that want to attach themselves to your home to have a place to stay and they get rather angry sometimes with new tenants they fell that the home belongs to them, and can cause you some problems, until you have a chat with them. Some might be lost relatives, who knows.

Ohh this reminds me of another ghost story.

We were having an estate sale because we were moving from Mexico, the sale ended and everyone left, and we had some people helping us move, so my wife and the maid were in the kitchen and its a small kitchen with the only door going in or out to the patio behind the house, and my wife asked the maid who was back there because she just saw a 30 year old man back there, and she said no one has past her to go back there she has been in the kitchen for the last few hours, then she asked what the man looked like and my wife described him to her, and she asked more details of his clothing etc, and she just broke down crying, that was when I walked in and saw all of the commotion.
I asked why she was crying and she said that her brother got killed a few weeks earlier, and that was him in the patio. She cried for anther 5 minutes before she could tell us why she was crying and then when she started telling us how her brother got killed we all cried together for a long time. Very sad story

Last edited:
Reactions: ozentity
My theory on lost items aside, I do think that there may very well be a paranormal element to poltergeist activity. Given the persistence of this phenomena, I actually find it harder to believe that all poltergeist activity can be explained through misattribution, clever trickery or some other natural cause than that some of these cases are due to an as of yet not understood ability to unconsciously transfer energy into the environment and thereby influence it. Or in other words, it may indeed be a form of authentic PK.

But coming back to lost items, I also think that we can form powerful connections between ourselves and certain objects. And that therefore such an object will come back to us - or is it that we come back to the object? - at some point after losing it. I have posted on one such personal experience where the unique circumstances of the environment should have dictated that a lost item with which I had a close personal relationship was lost for good. Yet, I was ultimately reunited with it. But based only on my personal experiences, regaining such an object all rested on two important notions: 1) that I had a well-defined personal relationship with the object; and 2) that I had stopped consciously looking for it.

So it may be the case that for items that seem to be lost permanently that one or both of these elements are missing. Thus, if I have no real attachment to an object, then perhaps losing it really amounts to little more than an annoyance and it is thus not worth expending any more mental energy on it. Or, in any case, maybe it is my conscious effort to find something that is getting in the way of locating it; and that therefore I need to delegate the search to my unconscious.

But this may all just amount to speculation on my part and I would not thus expect this to resonate for everyone. It is just one way that I organize my thoughts and navigate through the realm of the paranormal.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I asked why she was crying and she said that her brother got killed a few weeks earlier, and that was him in the patio,
I don't know how people cope with the horrors that go on over there,to me from Oz it's mind boggling.I could imagine all the anger and pain manifesting itself and then causing more pain in a never ending cycle of violence.You made a wise choice leaving I think Doglet.

But this may all just amount to speculation on my part and I would not thus expect this to resonate for everyone. It is just one way that I organize my thoughts and navigate through the realm of the paranormal.
That's the thing,there is no right or wrong as I feel it's a very personal journey for everyone,but good to hear different angles and ideas.