Pilot shares photo

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Reactions: garnetsilver

Confusing story, or at least one where the story as told in the article doesn't appear to match what's shown in the photo.

The article doesn't name the type aircraft, but the a/c in the photo is obviously a high wing monoplane. Notice the mirror on the left wing (upper left in the photo) reflecting an image of the aircraft's fuselage. Looks like a Cessna (with retracted gear) of some type, probably a Skymaster.

jerry337S.jpg

The article says the object was spotted at 12 o'clock high (head on to the a/c's nose and above it) relative to the aircraft. It also states the object flew overtop of the a/c and even cast a shadow into the cockpit.

If that's the case, why does the photo show whatever that is to the side of the aircraft and lower than the wing? The a/c appears to be flying straight and level, so I don't think the attitude of the aircraft comes into play. Had the object been in the same position relative to the side of (but above) the aircraft, the high wing would have at least partially obscured it in a photo.

I also take issue with the pilots' statement the object "left behind a large shadow that darkened the whole cockpit and the sky above them." That seems to contradict their statement the object "was moving so fast that the human eye couldn’t register it in detail." How does an object moving so fast it does not register in the human eye cast a visible shadow for the split second it would have been between the a/c and the sun?

Unless there is more to this story not provided in the article, I call BS.