Penanggal and Krasue

Roffin

Reaction score
I don't know if this fits here or not since this may not be categorized as a creature but as something which was once human. In Malaysia it is called Penanggal while in Thailand it is called Krasue. In Bali, there is a similar creature called the Leyak. In the Phillipines, there is the Mananaggal. This creature is a flying head with it's internal organs still attached to the head. The Mananaggal however is creature with wings and a flying upper torso. The origin of the creature is usually because of a hereditary curse or because a woman practicing black magic ended up with an unexpected situation where the practice went wrong. There is also a legend of the flying head in Iroquois mythology.

The Krasue appears at 0:04 in this Thai light bulb commercial meant to be comedic.

I don't know if this fits here or not since this may not be categorized as a creature but as something which was once human. In Malaysia it is called Penanggal while in Thailand it is called Krasue. In Bali, there is a similar creature called the Leyak. In the Phillipines, there is the Mananaggal. This creature is a flying head with it's internal organs still attached to the head. The Mananaggal however is creature with wings and a flying upper torso. The origin of the creature is usually because of a hereditary curse or because a woman practicing black magic ended up with an unexpected situation where the practice went wrong. There is also a legend of the flying head in Iroquois mythology.

The Krasue appears at 0:04 in this Thai light bulb commercial meant to be comedic.

Obviously this is video is supposed to be funny but Thai ghosts always scared me the most. My mother lived in Thailand for a short period and told me out of all the countries she had ever visited, Thailand had the most ghosts roaming around. Unlike me, she can actually see spirits and have conversations with them. She never seeks them out but they come to her all the time. She warned me about the witch doctors and told me never to seek them out as it's evil work.

Once again, we hit culture clash. Most of the Western paranormal world now has a better understanding of how energy works and would find the sacrifice of a frog totally unnecessary. Having worked with spells and magic many years, I understand the concept of it, but would be able to find a more positive way to deal with such a situation.

Reactions: Lynne
Once again, we hit culture clash. Most of the Western paranormal world now has a better understanding of how energy works and would find the sacrifice of a frog totally unnecessary. Having worked with spells and magic many years, I understand the concept of it, but would be able to find a more positive way to deal with such a situation.
I do not know if witch doctors in the surrounding countries sacrifice frogs though.

Reactions: Debi
I could never harm a living thing in any spiritual practice in order to benefit myself or anyone else. We are all connected.

Reactions: Lynne
I think that it is more than just culture. It is as much how you have lived as where you live. I am a country boy and the difference between country people and city folks is a huge and growing chasm. Part of the difference has to do with how close you live to the earth and all of its creatures great and small and even the plants on a farm are little different to you than the animals. They all require feeding, care, water, and protection from things that would eat or harm them.

People in town may have gardens, pets and lots of birds and squirrels in their yard, and lawns that they take great care for but there is a big difference. You take care of your cattle, pigs, rabbits, chickens, and ducks BUT the day also comes when you will go out and kill one for your supper or to butcher for the freezer. You may have bottle-raised a calf that you bought from a dairy. They sell bull calf CHEAP because they have no use for them at the dairy. You know even as you pet him and feed him that he is food. We usually named them Hamburger, Cheeseburger or T-Bone to keep this in mind.

They were cared for and protected, I would say that we even offered them love but you always knew that they would be killed so that you could eat. You may eat meat from the store but that doesn't bring you close to the truth of your nature like killing something in cold blood for supper. It isn't at all like hunting. You just have to have the ability to love, respect them for their sacrifice and still understand that they must die for you to live. Even vegetarians live at the cost of the lives of animals. Those big farms that grow your food do it on land that used to be home to many animals and they were both displaced and killed for their land.

i am not at all cold-hearted but because of the way I was raised, I would never have a problem sacrificing the life of an animal to better the lives of those that I care about. To me, there is little to no difference between sacrificing a chicken or frog to lift a curse from someone that I care for and killing livestock to feed my family. It would be evil to kill to place the curse but we all live off the deaths of animals and plants. I always have felt that when you eat you are nourished by their life that they gave up that you might live. The meat is infused with their life and if you accept their gift and honor it you get more than just meat from them.

Modern people are too far from reality. The people like me that have lived closer to the bone are appalled by the way commercial chicken places treat their birds. I have often felt like if you won't kill one then maybe you shouldn't eat them. When you kill them you understand the gift they offer you. Buying it in the store distances you from them. It is sanitized and you don't think of it as ever having been a living creature.

Where people believe in curses and witch doctors there is no difference between killing an animal to eat and killing one to appease the spirits and allow you to live.

People seldom understand people that were raised in a different culture. Their gods are just as real to them as your gods are to you. They see things in their culture as the RIGHT way to live and do just like you believe the things that your culture has taught you.