Politics PC police hit Boy Scouts once again

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
One more example of the PC police neutering our young men in society. I really wish the Boy Scouts would fight more of these issues instead of caving in. No water guns, and no water balloon larger than a ping pong ball?! :mad: Our country is a laughing stock, but it sure isn't funny any longer.

Boy Scouts of America bans water gun fights; ‘pointing a firearm’ is not kind

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Boy Scouts of America, an organization with semi-military origins, has put out approved activities for its members, and water gun fights are strictly prohibited.

A blog for the organization’s leaders said May 6 that pointing simulated firearms at people is not allowed.

“Why the rule? A Scouter once told me this explanation I liked quite a bit: A Scout is kind. What part of pointing a firearm [simulated or otherwise] at someone is kind?” said Bryan Wendell on the scouting website.

The rule is clarified in the Boy Scouts of America National Shooting Manual, which says “For water balloons, use small, biodegradable balloons, and fill them no larger than a ping pong ball. […] Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn.”

The manual includes a lengthy list of other prohibited items — boomerangs, crossbows, potato guns, spear guns and throwing stars. Scouts also may not use “marshmallow shooters that require placing a straw or similar device in the mouth.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-america-bans-water-gun-fights/#ixzz3afQgsD1S
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Today's Scouts is a far different organization than the one I belonged to, that's for certain. I'm surprised they still offer merit badges in archery and shooting. Maybe they should end the Jamborees too... I'm sure kids get hurt at those all the time! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Seahunter
My son is a cub scout leader. Gonna have to ask him about this, as I know he's all about letting the kids have fun during their camp outs! And I know he also owns several super soakers!

Reactions: Seahunter
Today's Scouts is a far different organization than the one I belonged to, that's for certain. I'm surprised they still offer merit badges in archery and shooting. Maybe they should end the Jamborees too... I'm sure kids get hurt at those all the time! :rolleyes:
Yeah, and what about those pocket knives we all carried and managed not to hurt ourselves or anyone else?

Reactions: surge and Debi
Ok as an Eagle Scout this pisses me off.

Water guns really?

Hey next week take the fire and knifes away and two weeks later fold due the lack of interest.

I was at a national jamboree and you know what hurt the most people there ?

Lighting.

Pauses to remember the young man who didn't make it due to sitting on a metal pinic table about 700 yards away from us.

That was a horrible few days.

But water guns. I can even try to understand the balloons and helping the planet but

Ok maybe more later.