Open Lines Paul Shanklin's "In a Yugo"

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
I heard this years ago, but thought I'd post it here. It pokes a little fun at environmentalists, but it's all in good fun! :p This is Elvis' In the Ghetto slightly reworked.

Here are the lyrics as it's a little tough to hear in certain places:

In a Yugo
As the snow flies

At a used car lot on the edge of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo

And they drive with pride

Cause if there's one thing that this world needs
It's environmental friends who'll take the lead
In a Yugo

They say, "people don't you understand
Those suburbans are ruining the land"
But they'll wish they had a full size van one day
They point fingers at you and me
They say we're too blind to see
But do we simply use our heads
And choose another way?

As those small wheels turn
Fifty miles to the gallon
And their knees on their chest
They're gonna save enough gas
For all of the rest
In a Yugo

Then one day on the interstate
They suddenly lose control
They swerve to miss a baby duck
They're squashed beneath a produce truck

But they drove with pride...

And as the crowds drive past a little flat car
You know they saved a lot of gas
But they didnt get far
In a Yugo

And as they're trapped inside
At a used car lot on the other side of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo....

And they drive with pride...

:eek::eek::eek:

Reminder, Roy....I drive a little bitty Kia Soul! I did get a bright yellow one so people see me coming, but once again....:eek:!

Reactions: Seahunter

Reminder, Roy....I drive a little bitty Kia Soul! I did get a bright yellow one so people see me coming, but once again....:eek:!
I know, but the lyrics are just so darn funny. :D And I'm not against environmentalists as a rule.

My Aunt had a little itty bitty Honda car years ago. She had stopped at a red light, and a semi stopped behind her. He forgot she was there, and when the light changed, he took off right away and started pushing her down the road. Somehow the car got stuck to the truck and she couldn't speed away, so he was pushing her down the road and everyone was honking at him and pointing until he finally figured out he better stop. After that she installed a bike-type flag on it to stick up higher than the car and be seen.

I know, but the lyrics are just so darn funny. :D And I'm not against environmentalists as a rule.

My Aunt had a little itty bitty Honda car years ago. She had stopped at a red light, and a semi stopped behind her. He forgot she was there, and when the light changed, he took off right away and started pushing her down the road. Somehow the car got stuck to the truck and she couldn't speed away, so he was pushing her down the road and everyone was honking at him and pointing until he finally figured out he better stop. After that she installed a bike-type flag on it to stick up higher than the car and be seen.
This definitely deserves one of these: :eek:

As for the song, I heard that years ago, but the brain cells containing the memory were pretty foggy. Thanks for a reminder!

My oldest brother bought a Yugo right after they hit the market here in the States. You know, before anyone found out that they started falling apart if you drove over 50 MPH! :p Anyway, he still says it's the worst thing he ever bought, and this from someone who bought a used Renault in the 70s. It wasn't easy or cheap to get parts for European cars back then!

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi

That always concerns me, too! I be an itty bitty vehicle out there! Maybe I need a bike flag!

That always concerns me, too! I be an itty bitty vehicle out there! Maybe I need a bike flag!
Yeah, that's why I am not opposed to environmentalism, but I want a bit more between me and another vehicle on the road than an itty bitty eggshell. Saving money is offset to me by being safe. This is why I would never, ever own a motorcycle, even though they get awesome gas mileage. I have a normal-sized sedan too, but I feel much, much safer in my Expedition or my pickup! I parked next to a "Smart" :rolleyes: Car once with the truck, and it really put things in perspective just how unsafe a Smart Car is to me. You couldn't pay me to drive one of those things, just too dangerous if you get hit, and such an easy preventable way to avoid dying by not driving one.

Due to another synchronistic event, I'm now a little worried about driving my little bumble bee of a car! lol I think I'll just hang out at home for awhile! :eek:

Due to another synchronistic event, I'm now a little worried about driving my little bumble bee of a car! lol I think I'll just hang out at home for awhile! :eek:
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you from driving! :(

LOL! Nope....you didn't. I see it more as a message from above to not do so until the new glasses get here! ;) And then I'm going to be sure I'm not in front of a semi. I think I'll be sure I'm behind them instead!

Reactions: surge
Yeah, that's why I am not opposed to environmentalism, but I want a bit more between me and another vehicle on the road than an itty bitty eggshell. Saving money is offset to me by being safe. This is why I would never, ever own a motorcycle, even though they get awesome gas mileage. I have a normal-sized sedan too, but I feel much, much safer in my Expedition or my pickup! I parked next to a "Smart" :rolleyes: Car once with the truck, and it really put things in perspective just how unsafe a Smart Car is to me. You couldn't pay me to drive one of those things, just too dangerous if you get hit, and such an easy preventable way to avoid dying by not driving one.
Before we had this little car, we had a truck. Now, when we park next to the same size truck we had, I can see the difference quite clearly! BIG difference! Luckily, we don't travel much anymore, so it's mainly just into town and back these days. And the plus is I can fit the little bug of a car into spaces I couldn't get the truck into.