Passenger says bottle of whisky he checked in for flight came back a third empty

We've had items stolen from checked baggage before, so I don't doubt the story. Unfortunately the article doesn't tell us the flights/airports involved. In all likelihood, the bag/bottle was opened at the airport where it was checked.

Airline employees on the sauce.......damn. Lol
From the late 80s through the mid 90s, I flew in and out of LA, primarily LAX, three to four times a month. The ground staff out there (ticket/gate agents, baggage handlers, airline club employees, etc) routinely appeared to be on something, lots of dilated pupils and bloodshot eyes. There was one particular ticket agent for Piedmont, a guy in his late 20s/early 30s, who talked so fast he was difficult to understand. My boss nicknamed him "Speedy."

From the late 80s through the mid 90s, I flew in and out of LA, primarily LAX, three to four times a month. The ground staff out there (ticket/gate agents, baggage handlers, airline club employees, etc) routinely appeared to be on something, lots of dilated pupils and bloodshot eyes. There was one particular ticket agent for Piedmont, a guy in his late 20s/early 30s, who talked so fast he was difficult to understand. My boss nicknamed him "Speedy."
LOL. Wonderful. I’ll be flying in and out of LAX in early June. California dude. A buzz is a way of life….Speedy. Yea, he’s coked up or on speed. Makes you wonder how they get passed the drug tests…

LOL. Wonderful. I’ll be flying in and out of LAX in early June. California dude. A buzz is a way of life….Speedy. Yea, he’s coked up or on speed. Makes you wonder how they get passed the drug tests…
That perplexed me as well, at least in hindsight. Were companies even drug testing in the late 1980s? I can understand an airline drug screening flight crew and aircraft maintenance personnel, but not sure about ground staff at that time.