Part of the PNF "Learn a New Word" Program

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(llan-vire-pooll-gwin-gill-gore-ger-ih-queern-drorb-ooll-llandy-silio-gore-gore-goch)

A small, quiet town on the island of Angelsey off the northwest coast of North Wales.

Usually shortened to Llanfair-pwll or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, it is a Welsh word that translates roughly as "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave".............
A Welsh person once taught me how to say this word. I've never forgotten and now it's my party piece! :laughing:

A Welsh person once taught me how to say this word. I've never forgotten and now it's my party piece! :laughing:
Wales is beautiful, I particularly liked Swansea. A colleague from here in the US who visited Wales described it as "West Virginia with castles." The written Welsh language has always fascinated me with its high ratio of consonants to vowels.

Wales is beautiful, I particularly liked Swansea. A colleague from here in the US who visited Wales described it as "West Virginia with castles." The written Welsh language has always fascinated me with its high ratio of consonants to vowels.
Did you have time to see Snowdonia National Park or visit the Pembrokeshire coast? I also like the Brecon Beacons. Wales has so much to offer and, as you say, is very beautiful. I could listen to a Welsh speaker for hours...even the accent when they speak English, is beautiful.

Did you have time to see Snowdonia National Park or visit the Pembrokeshire coast? I also like the Brecon Beacons. Wales has so much to offer and, as you say, is very beautiful. I could listen to a Welsh speaker for hours...even the accent when they speak English, is beautiful.
Unortunately no. We drove from London to Cardiff, then on to Swansea. We skirted the Beacons on the way back, however. I visited Wales a second time, but I don't remember where we were. There was a group of us who went to a Royal Ordnance facility further north, but no idea where. The trip up I sat for nearly four hours in a coach listened to a Navy guy blather on about his ?#@*&%! fig trees, and I slept on the way back.

Grockle

A slang term used by locals in Cornwall to describe tourists. It's NOT a compliment!
Here in South Jersey we have a term called 'Shoobies'. lol. That is directed at tourists/visitors from PA. lol North Jersey also has the term 'Bennies'...if spelling is correct...don't know..i am not from that area lol. But basically many many moons ago, people from PA would come to the beaches carrying food and such in shoe boxes...hence the 'nickname.