Part of the PNF "Learn a New Word" Program

yet is is imPORtant to know which SYLable needs to be EMphasized when proNOUNced.

Reactions: 7Critter and Duke
MICTURATE

I haven't used the word micturate in ages

micturate​

mic·tu·rate | \ ˈmik-chə-ˌrāt , ˈmik-tə- \
micturated; micturating

Definition of micturate

intransitive verb
: URINATE

First Known Use of micturate

1842, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for micturate

Latin micturire to desire to urinate, from meiere to urinate; akin to Old English mīgan to urinate, Greek omeichein

Reactions: garnetsilver
I have always loved William F Buckley's patrician mid-atlantic accent ,incredible use of big words and a quick turn of a phrase that would cut thru his opponents arguements like butter.
I've been watching,WFB ,Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer duke it out on the Dick Cavett Show with their use of the English language. Wonderful documentary called The Best of Enemiers or Google you tube" Dick Cavett -William F Buckley jr,Gore Vidal,Mailer. BRILLIANT STUFF
(if you were born after 1965 you probably will not know at least 1 of these folks)

They are all polemicists .

po·lem·i·cist
/pəˈleməsəst/
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...UKEwiwj6mYlqzxAhWEmeAKHfcEBboQ3eEDMAB6BAgCEAc

1. a person who engages in controversial debate.
    "a brilliant polemicist with an independent critical mind"

Reactions: Debi and Duke
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(llan-vire-pooll-gwin-gill-gore-ger-ih-queern-drorb-ooll-llandy-silio-gore-gore-goch)

A small, quiet town on the island of Angelsey off the northwest coast of North Wales.

Usually shortened to Llanfair-pwll or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, it is a Welsh word that translates roughly as "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave".............

(llan-vire-pooll-gwin-gill-gore-ger-ih-queern-drorb-ooll-llandy-silio-gore-gore-goch)

A small, quiet town on the island of Angelsey off the northwest coast of North Wales.

Usually shortened to Llanfair-pwll or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, it is a Welsh word that translates roughly as "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave".............
Drop the mic, you win!

As a boy in Catholic school, one year, 6th grade if memory serves, we had a lay teacher, a Welsh woman who married an American. She was from that village. I remember her writing it on the chalkboard!

210771737_4256201421105606_3450883778907146885_n.jpg