Part of the PNF "Learn a New Word" Program

Sommelier- a wine steward

Tip: Try this. Say “summer.” Switch the “r” for an “l” and say “summel.” Then, “Yay, the wine is here! “Summel-yay!”
During the reign of Louis XIV, the sommelier was the official in charge of the transport of baggage when the court moved. In the household of a great lord, he was the official who chose the wines, table settings and desserts. The sommelier used his tastevin, a silver saucer on a thick silver chain worn around the neck to check his lord’s wine for poison. He also checked the food. If the sommelier died, his Master would avoid the meal.

Today’s sommelier has slightly improved working conditions. There is very little threat of being poisoned, not by food anyway, but perhaps by over-consumption of alcohol. Tuxedos and tastevins are still out there, but today’s sommelier, even in the most formal dining room, is more likely to wear a suit and keep the silver tasting cup in a side pocket. Today’s sommelier is also more likely than ever before to be female, and young. In general they are humble and hospitable, but watch out for the snobs. They are still out there.

What does a sommelier do? Primarily there to help guests select wine, make sure it is sound, and then to keep glasses full throughout the meal, a top notch sommelier such as Master Sommelier, for example, or a Concours Mondiale champ is also expected to be able to answer questions about production methods of wines and spirits.

Reactions: Debi

Barbara Billingsley talking about learning to speak "jive" for her role in "Airplane."
Very nice! Most times I’ve heard the word “ jive” in my life

Agastopia (noun) - [agg-uh-stow-pee-ah]

1. Admiration of a particular part of someone's body.
2. The visual enjoyment of the appearance of a specific physical aspect of another.

Reactions: jadamz and Debi
Agastopia (noun) - [agg-uh-stow-pee-ah]

1. Admiration of a particular part of someone's body.
2. The visual enjoyment of the appearance of a specific physical aspect of another.
I like the first part of that word sounds like "Aghast!"

veracity​

noun, plural ve·rac·i·ties​

habitual observance of truth in speech or statement; truthfulness:He was not noted for his veracity.
conformity to truth or fact; accuracy:to question the veracity of his account.
correctness or accuracy, as of the senses or of a scientific instrument.
something veracious; a truth.

this words meaning has always confused me.i think I mix it up with voracity : the state of being voracious i.e ravenous or insatiable

Last edited:
183764705_4096091797116570_4605237548034679162_n.jpg