Part of the PNF "Learn a New Word" Program

PEREGRINATION

A journey,especially a long and meandering one,wander

How do you use peregrination in a sentence?

His is a gripping peregrination and one rich with detail and informed insights. It was a rather lengthy peregrination, as he would put it, and not what they wanted to hear. She's been nurturing this grand peregrination for five years, 'and everyone's just laughed me out the shop'.

Reactions: Lynne
237213042_329102738644869_354051976059746835_n.jpg

Reactions: jadamz
I just heard someone say this and I love it:

"Not my circus, not my monkey. But the clowns definitely know me. " (I heard it was an approximation of a polish saying)

also from Appalachia..

..."in all my put-togethers". In all of my experiences. " I never had that happen In all my put-togethers "

12 oversized words antepenultimate

antepenultimate

Definition:​

: coming before the next to last in any series

Example:​

"Hostess - You seemed embarrassed at meeting Mr. Smoykle, Mrs. Travnoo.
Guest - I thought you knew, Mrs. Longshore. He's my - my antepenultimate husband. " - Palatine Enterprise, 11 Oct. 1907

About the Word:​

Sometimes you need to refer to the last thing in a series, and we all feel fairly comfortable in what we call that thing (the last). Sometimes you need to refer to the second to last thing in a series, and you have a need to sound pedantic while doing so; in such cases you may refer to the penultimate. But what of those times when you need to refer to the third to the last thing, sound pedantic, and also utterly confuse the people with whom you are speaking? For those occasions you may use antepenultimate

Reactions: Duke
Epistemophilia

12 oversized words epistemophilia

Definition:​

: love of knowledge; specifically : excessive striving for or preoccupation with knowledge

Example:​

"And, as Freud's case study of the 'Rat Man' indicates, epistemophilia can in some people become something far more obsessive and desperate than normal intellectual endeavour." - Bran Nicol, in Literature and Psychology, 1999

About the Word:​

Epistemophilia is formed by combining the New Latin roots epistemo- and -philia (meaning 'understanding, knowledge' and 'love of,' respectively). What could go wrong with having a love of knowledge? An epistemophiliac has a little too much love. You know the type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke