Part of the Job...

must wear "real" pants to work, (no baggy workout, pajama looking pants, paintman knows what im refering to...lol ) dont wear shorts, sandals, and sunglasses to the weekly business meeting, well, i guess these arent actual rules, just some of the things I'VE been told what to do....lol
You'd be surprised at the number of people, especially youngsters new to the workforce/business world, who need to be told those things.

Every time I go paint a business I get a new set of rules. Most of them make sense when you find out the reason behind them.

Here is something that really didn't make sense.

I once painted a machine shop that made Urology surgical tools. ( Every guy here just crossed their legs ) The machine operators and other workers weren't allowed to listen to the radio. That week we played our radios and asked them what stations they liked.

The Pepsi Bottling plant had a lot of rules but they really made sense. The whole place was an intertwining ballet of production. Our work had to be done in a certain time and in a certain sequence or we could bottleneck production, shipping......
I don't think Pepsi had many rules for the warehouse guys and their Whimsical use of fork trucks. They would stack pallets of 12 and 24 packs as high as they could go and then race. That was a sight to see !

I was a General Manager for Skirmish Paintball Games in Nottingham.

The site Manager, Nick, loved his golf and the full-time staff (there were three of us) were expected to play golf, with working hours on the course paid at our hourly rate, with him at least once a week. I spent a fortune on clubs!

He even flew us out to his place in Spain on two occasions for a weekend each time to play out there too...........

I had a summer job once, in a dept. store in the jewellery section. There were only two of us manning the entire section because they were too cheap to hire more staff. I was the concession manager for one brand and my colleague for another. The other counters had been left to effectively rot for years with no one selling the merchandise and no one looking after it.

Then, one day, the floor manager told us to start mending a load of old, broken jewellery from these decaying concessions; INVENT prices for each piece and then put them back out for sale as if they were new! I was fairly gobsmacked and my colleague, who had worked there for years, very definitely had other ideas. She waited until the floor manager had disappeared from view and then grabbed bundles of broken stock from the drawers and stuffed it behind a loose panel in a cupboard near the floor, hoping the manager would forgot all about it. Success! She completely forgot she ever asked us to do it! For all I know, the jewellery's still there...

To be fair, it would have taken days, if not weeks, to untangle the mountains of broken necklaces, find all the missing pieces and put them back together convincingly, and it was all cheap tat anyway. Also, it was not our responsibility as it was all from rival brands, not to mention it being totally deceptive to the public. They were really cheeky asking us to do it so I have no regrets at all, and watching my colleague think so quickly on her feet and hide it all behind a "secret panel" was delightful. It was one of the funniest memories I have from any job and I'm eternally grateful to her for it!

I had a summer job once, in a dept. store in the jewellery section. There were only two of us manning the entire section because they were too cheap to hire more staff. I was the concession manager for one brand and my colleague for another. The other counters had been left to effectively rot for years with no one selling the merchandise and no one looking after it.

Then, one day, the floor manager told us to start mending a load of old, broken jewellery from these decaying concessions; INVENT prices for each piece and then put them back out for sale as if they were new! I was fairly gobsmacked and my colleague, who had worked there for years, very definitely had other ideas. She waited until the floor manager had disappeared from view and then grabbed bundles of broken stock from the drawers and stuffed it behind a loose panel in a cupboard near the floor, hoping the manager would forgot all about it. Success! She completely forgot she ever asked us to do it! For all I know, the jewellery's still there...

To be fair, it would have taken days, if not weeks, to untangle the mountains of broken necklaces, find all the missing pieces and put them back together convincingly, and it was all cheap tat anyway. Also, it was not our responsibility as it was all from rival brands, not to mention it being totally deceptive to the public. They were really cheeky asking us to do it so I have no regrets at all, and watching my colleague think so quickly on her feet and hide it all behind a "secret panel" was delightful. It was one of the funniest memories I have from any job and I'm eternally grateful to her for it!
This sounds like a script right out of "Are You Being Served?".

Shortly after I started working for LD, I was loading my truck after we had our own deliveries and my DSR (District Sales Representative) told me that I couldn't wear a sleeveless shirt to even load in - in the heat of Summer. In Mississippi. If you've never been, it's like being locked inside a sauna. For months.

Mind you, this guy wasn't my supervisor and he didn't write my checks but he surely did love to control things. After another instance of that, I called my supervisor who in turn called his. It stopped. I still see the guy from time to time, and he seems better than he was.

In my years as a "Hollywood extra" I had many bizarre and sometimes dangerous job requirements. I've been shot at, soaked to the skin, choked in smoke, wore winter coats in 90-degree weather, wore flimsy clothes in 40-degree weather, walked through flames, had dirt blown at me with wind machines, had things glued to my face, wore wigs, got silly haircuts, wore silly costumes, got injured a few times and more. All in a day's work.