Paranormal TV

In addition to the shows already mentioned, "Sightings" was a popular "reality" type show that dealt with all sorts of paranormal subjects. It ran on Fox in the 1990s and later in syndication on other networks. It was hosted by Tim White. You can find episodes on YouTube.

sightings.jpg

Another, similar Fox show in the 90's was "Encounters: The Hidden Truth"

enc.jpg
Oh yes ! I forgot about this one. Another really good one.

I never was interested in the paranormal until about nine years ago, have tried to watch most of what's available in that time. I think I started with Paranormal Witness or Ghost Hunters, can't recall at the moment. My wife just queued them up and I obediently watched, lol. It took me a few years to find my own way amid the noise and waste.

I agree that Mountain Monsters is just a hoot. Pure entertainment and obviously completely scripted.

I am not a fan of re-enactment shows. I can't suspend my disbelief, knowing that it's not real footage. Some of the sets used on the re-enactments are too minimal; you can tell they aren't filming in an active, real hospital, for example. The set is vastly under-propped, I assume to keep production costs down.

Hi Keongxi, I guess they knew how to build pretty good size ocean going boats. I guess if Noah could survive the flood maybe boats were built to do certain things. The way I look at it is they could build all those great stone monuments and cities around the world maybe they did things we dont inderstand or had spiritual powers that guided them.
I agree there seems to be mounting evidence Columbus was not the first here in the Americas.

I remember watching Unsolved Mysteries as a kid with Robert Stack. Most of the episodes were grisly true crime stories but they did delve into the paranormal from time to time. The story of the haunted bunk beds still creeps me out today and just hearing the Unsolved Mysteries theme song sends a shiver up my spine.

I did like the Ghost Hunters show, especially in the earlier seasons as they would have episodes where they found absolutely nothing paranormal and could even debunk a lot of the claims. One episode in particular had a guy who did furniture restoration in his downstairs garage/basement. The T.A.P.S. team pointed out that he kept all his paint, lacquer and varnish right by the furnace vents which means the fumes are being blown through the house. These fumes could easily cause the headaches, queasiness and unsettled feelings as well as hallucinations. I know there was some controversy over whether or not the events in the show were staged. This claim is leveled at a lot of these paranormal investigation shows. In the case of Ghost Hunters one of the investigators, Donna, did an interview where she said that a lot of the "behind the scenes" drama in later seasons was really played up by the studio or even just artificially created in editing. I have seen a lot of people point to this as evidence the whole show was fake, but she did specify that it was just the interpersonal drama that was fake and has no knowledge of any evidence being faked.

I tried to watch some other paranormal investigation shows but found most of them to be more annoying than interesting. Watching a group of people freak out over someone getting an "uneasy feeling" is not actual proof of anything. I'm especially unimpressed by the voices captured on a device that is constantly scanning through random radio frequencies. I've heard so many of these that sound exactly like snippets of conversation on police or HAM radio that I wouldn't trust any real evidence it captured due to this high chance of false positive results.

I had heard a lot about another paranormal investigator named Zak Bagans and decided to give his show a watch but couldn't get through the first episode. In it he was investigating a Dybbuk Box and called in a Rabbi to assist in case the Dybbuk escaped. I started yelling at the screen like it was ref making a bad call during the Super Bowl. A Dybbuk is part of Jewish cultural folklore, not a part of Judaism or Jewish religious beliefs. This is like calling in a Roman Catholic Priest to be a subject matter expert on the legend of Romulus and Remus. So obviously when they start asking the Rabbi questions about the Dybbuk and the Dybbuk box he doesn't really know much about it. He even admits that what he does know came from his online research just before he came on the show because it was not something he knew about before hand. Rather than realize his error Zak Bagans doubles down on it and says that the Dybbuk must be doing something to the Rabbi's mind to make him unable to help them. Maybe some of his other stuff is better but this incident was so poorly researched that I'm not inclined to try again.

Recently my son has taken an interest in a YouTube channel for a guy called Mr. Ballen who just retells creepy true stories. It's kind of like a discount Unsolved Mysteries but the stories are interesting, the delivery is well done and the videos aren't an hour long.

Home run, Stevedog !
( Please don't tell me that Storage Wars and Shipping Wars is also faked. Those shows are getting me through winter.)

Hey Lynne, Bob and I had a discussion about the timeline of people coming to the Americas. He brought up some real archaeological research that throws everything out of whack. There is a burial cave in Brazil that contains the bones of people from Southeast Asia from thousands and thousands of years ago. It's not a big percentage of their DNA but it's definitely from Southeast Asia. The only explanation is someone built some good boats and got ridiculously lucky. These bones would predate the Bering Strait land bridge.

Stevedog, I was skeptical of the "Spirit boxes" as well, for the same reason you state. But I've since changed my mind, for the following reason.

The better units scan at rates faster than 100 milli-seconds, that is, a different frequency ten times per second. My current favorite scans at 20 times per second.

If you record a word or phrase that extends over many such sweeps, it cannot be radio contamination. Any radio snippets can only be 1/20th of a second in duration; if you record a word or phrase that takes a full second to utter, that is 20 scans. It is probably a true EVP in that instance.

The best use of these is to not even extend the antenna. When you can't pick up any stations, that reduces the chances of station contamination even more. Some "experts" claim that it's the white noise that is most important, not the scanning of frequencies.

Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Paintman, I loved Storage Wars, until I found out that the producers salted the lockers, and it is highly scripted.

Sorry. :(

Reactions: Paintman
Hey Crux, welcome back! I've missed your posts, always enjoyed reading your take on things.

I'd forgotten about "Sightings," don't remember "Encounters." Do you remember the "Scariest Places on Earth" program I mentioned?
Thanks.

I vaguely remember the "Scariest Places" show existed but I don't think I saw any of the episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke
Covid vaccine dreams. I just got my second dose and had some really fun dreams last night for the first time in awhile. First off I had a fever yesterday as per many of us who get the vaccine.I was tired and fell asleep early last night. I honestly dreamed I had lunch with Zak Bagans from Ghost Adventures!! We were sitting at a table having lunch and I said to him His show was my favorite show on Travel ( besides Mountain Monsters of course). We chatted for awhile and I woke up. I made it a point to remember this dream and thought about it upon awakening and wrote it down. The next dream I was playing football with a bunch of other guys . Covid vaccine dreams. Strange.