Parallel worlds

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists

Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
Theory explains bizarre observations made in quantum mechanics.

Quantum mechanics, though firmly tested, is so weird and anti-intuitive that famed physicist Richard Feynman once remarked, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." Attempts to explain some of the bizarre consequences of quantum theory have led to some mind-bending ideas, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation.

Now there's a "new" theory on the block, called the "many interacting worlds" hypothesis (MIW), and the idea is just as profound as it sounds. The theory suggests not only that parallel worlds exist, but that they interact with our world on the quantum level and are thus detectable. Though still speculative, the theory may help to finally explain some of the bizarre consequences inherent in quantum mechanics.

The theory is a spinoff of the many-worlds interpretation in quantum mechanics — an idea that posits that all possible alternative histories and futures are real, each representing an actual, though parallel, world.

Sean Carroll, a theoretical physicist at the California Institute of Technology, supports the many-worlds theory. It's the subject of his new book, "Something Deeply Hidden."

"It's absolutely possible that there are multiple worlds where you made different decisions. We're just obeying the laws of physics," says Carroll, Just how many versions of you might there be, asks NBC News. "We don't know whether the number of worlds is finite or infinite, but it's certainly a very large number," Carroll says. "There's no way it's, like, five."

One problem with the many-worlds interpretation, however, has been that it's fundamentally untestable, since observations can only be made in our world. Happenings in these proposed "parallel" worlds can thus only be imagined.

MIW says otherwise. It suggests that parallel worlds can interact on the quantum level, and in fact they do, as this video explains.

More story at site

Reactions: Ultima Thule
I don’t think this can be dumbed down enough for me to understand. My brain is exploding now.

"It's absolutely possible that there are multiple worlds where you made different decisions. We're just obeying the laws of physics,"

Is this the physics of free will and just another way of saying that these parallel universes are little more than all the possible paths that could result from exercising our capacity to make choices? That is, each choice we make is in effect a decision to live in one of those parallel universes versus another. We can only observe and live in one universe at a time. Yet, each time we make a choice, it is tantamount to making a choice between existing in one of these possible universes over another.

Using the classic example of seeing a water glass as half empty versus half full, clearly each choice is physically possible. That is we know from experience that it is a choice we can make. And as we know further by experience, the effects on our wellbeing and on how we perceive (experience) subsequent reality can be profound. The half empty world is not the half full world.

We must be conscious to make choices. And making choices is just another way of saying that we are exercising free will. And if exercising our free will is a decision to live in one parallel universe over another, then it also seems (to me) that consciousness itself must have a quantum nature. For how else could we be aware of and transition between these theoretical parallel universes that physicists themselves can only describe in quantum terms?

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi