Panther spotted in Oz

That is a black cat. I have seen what I at first thought was a black panther and he was about 6+ feet long from nose to tip of the tail. After extensive research, I finally figured out what exactly it was. It was a jaguarundi. They are a lot lighter of build than a true jaguar I knew immediately that he wasn't a black house cat but he wasn't as big as most descriptions of a black panther. He was crossing a dirt road and was over half as long as the dirt road was wide. I stopped and checked out the tracks and house cats don't have paws almost as big around as a coffee can. After that, I always carried plaster of Paris and the stuff so if I ever saw one again I could make a cast of the prints. Never saw him again though.

1611806357018.png

My first thought is a dog but maybe a large feral cat.

Reactions: Paulm
My first thought is a dog but maybe a large feral cat.
I thought the same. Is it possible to get an estimate of it’s height by where it comes up to the tall grass. If we knew the average height of that type of plant perhaps we could gage it’s size.

Reactions: ozentity
I thought the same. Is it possible to get an estimate of it’s height by where it comes up to the tall grass. If we knew the average height of that type of plant perhaps we could gage it’s size.
The grass or crop looks 6 or 7 ft. I'm pretty sure it's a lab size dog,the tail is too thin for a cat but it's not an easy pic to identify.

Reactions: Paulm
The grass or crop looks 6 or 7 ft. I'm pretty sure it's a lab size dog,the tail is too thin for a cat but it's not an easy pic to identify.
Or it’s a panther

There was a tiger why not a panther

sry popped in head from title

Image52.jpg

Reactions: Lynne
I have to admit that I saw something that looked almost exactly like this picture about 5 years ago. Where I live in Eastern Mi is not rural enough to be considered farm country but we do have large areas of field and trees around. I was leaving my house for my night shift about 10:30 pm and in the field off of my road I saw what looked like the back half of a big cat. I glimpsed the rear end and tail as it was passing into the tall grass. Of course it may have been a dog but my first impression was that it was a leopard. Of course that made no sense at all and my mind tried to then fill in other possibilities. There are a lot of these reports and I wonder if we are not seeing ghost animals or perhaps time slips. There must be an explanation.

Reactions: ozentity and Paulm
I have to admit that I saw something that looked almost exactly like this picture about 5 years ago
I've heard that people have seen black jaguars in the Southern states over your side of the pond.

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
I've heard that people have seen black jaguars in the Southern states over your side of the pond.
we have cougars down here but no black ones have ever been proven in the wild or captivity, some scientist even think that cougars cannot have the melanistic deficit to be black.... or something along those lines...lol.... but the black panther legend is a long one that seems to be told year after year. possibly ppl are seeing cougars in dim lighting or shadows?? but seeing one at all is something most ppl will never get to see in the wild.

Reactions: ozentity and Lynne