OZ redone

Well I wasn't going share this as I didn't want to derail the topic, but it seems that seal has been broken so here goes.

Many moons ago when I was a teenager in highschool my hobbies included video games, comic books, R-rated movies and the theatre department at school. One year these things all came together to produce a a creative spark in my mind. At the time I was going through a Road Warrior phase, meaning I was wearing out the Mad Max VHS tapes and playing post apocalyptic video games. Then my highschool decided that this year's musical production would be The Wiz. All this muddled together in my brain an I thought it would be cool to create a post apocalyptic adventure comic that was a direct adaptation of the Wizard of Oz.

I sat down and came up with a basic storyline and how each set piece from the original would translate. The Munchkin village for instance was a settlement where the parents had been killed or captured leaving behind only children. The Dorothy character would come along and rescue them from a raider. But not just any raider, this was the leader of the raider clan that controlled the whole eastern sector. There were four clans total, each control over their own section of the land, East West, North and South. East and West were criminal clans involved in drugs, robbery and slavery. While the North and South were more interested in legitimate commerce and trying to bring order to the land.

I also made several sketches of how the reimagined characters would look. For Dorothy I started with the image of Mad Max walking along the highway with his dog but replaced Max with a female character and a slightly larger feral dog/wolf. I had her wearing an old set of motorcycle racing leathers that had at one point been a bright blue and white checkered pattern as homage to Judy Garland's dress.

The Scarecrow was modeled after a character in a Kurosawa film, soft monk like clothing with a wide brimmed straw hat and carrying a scythe. He would be a version of a ronin, a samurai who had no master. So used to simply following orders that he can't think of or set goals for himself.

My Cowardly Lion was a big, burly Hell's Angel looking guy with long hair and a beard armed with a big knife and a big gun. Despite his looks he is a very tragic character. His gruff, rude exterior is a shield to others from getting close to him as he can't bear the pain of being hurt again.

The Tinman wound up being the hardest character. I vacillated between some sort of robot or cyborg to someone with mechanical implants and prosthetic limbs. So I was never able to come up with a good back story I was happy with and never got my idea past this planning stage.

I also had the problem of not being totally happy with my basic sketches but at the same time knowing that I would never be able to keep my characters on model if I put in too much detail.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
Well I wasn't going share this as I didn't want to derail the topic, but it seems that seal has been broken so here goes.

Many moons ago when I was a teenager in highschool my hobbies included video games, comic books, R-rated movies and the theatre department at school. One year these things all came together to produce a a creative spark in my mind. At the time I was going through a Road Warrior phase, meaning I was wearing out the Mad Max VHS tapes and playing post apocalyptic video games. Then my highschool decided that this year's musical production would be The Wiz. All this muddled together in my brain an I thought it would be cool to create a post apocalyptic adventure comic that was a direct adaptation of the Wizard of Oz.

I sat down and came up with a basic storyline and how each set piece from the original would translate. The Munchkin village for instance was a settlement where the parents had been killed or captured leaving behind only children. The Dorothy character would come along and rescue them from a raider. But not just any raider, this was the leader of the raider clan that controlled the whole eastern sector. There were four clans total, each control over their own section of the land, East West, North and South. East and West were criminal clans involved in drugs, robbery and slavery. While the North and South were more interested in legitimate commerce and trying to bring order to the land.

I also made several sketches of how the reimagined characters would look. For Dorothy I started with the image of Mad Max walking along the highway with his dog but replaced Max with a female character and a slightly larger feral dog/wolf. I had her wearing an old set of motorcycle racing leathers that had at one point been a bright blue and white checkered pattern as homage to Judy Garland's dress.

The Scarecrow was modeled after a character in a Kurosawa film, soft monk like clothing with a wide brimmed straw hat and carrying a scythe. He would be a version of a ronin, a samurai who had no master. So used to simply following orders that he can't think of or set goals for himself.

My Cowardly Lion was a big, burly Hell's Angel looking guy with long hair and a beard armed with a big knife and a big gun. Despite his looks he is a very tragic character. His gruff, rude exterior is a shield to others from getting close to him as he can't bear the pain of being hurt again.

The Tinman wound up being the hardest character. I vacillated between some sort of robot or cyborg to someone with mechanical implants and prosthetic limbs. So I was never able to come up with a good back story I was happy with and never got my idea past this planning stage.

I also had the problem of not being totally happy with my basic sketches but at the same time knowing that I would never be able to keep my characters on model if I put in too much detail.
That is a fascinating adaptation! That is a totally reimagined scenario.

Two come to mind readily......William Shatner as the Wizard and Jim Carrey as the Cowardly Lion. Maybe Jennifer Aniston as the Good Witch?
I have a good one for the wicked witch but we are a politics free zone lol.

This is a very good idea !