Ooooh, that meal!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Hope all our US members had a great Thanksgiving. Anyone have a non-traditional or unusual food item on your Thanksgiving menu?

What is the most unusual dish you've ever tried? And how did you like it?

Reactions: garnetsilver
Since I woke with a mild fever today, we weren't ambitious to cook. So for the first time, we had Reuben sandwiches for thanksgiving dinner. And binge watched movies.

Can't think of any unusual dishes at the moment.

Last edited:
I begged to not have to cook a Thanksgiving meal for the first time in decades. Mrs. GW pouted, so I cooked. Did Idaho yellow spuds for mash. Stuffing, rolls, cranberry sauce, pie, the works. We would have way too many leftovers.
My wife, who is only 5'-1" and maybe 115 lbs, ate three bites and was full. I can't give her clothing for Christmas, or she will be free and leave me. ;)
Then my periodically homeless sister showed up, so I gave her a complete dinner for four. Then my gainfully-employed but always hungry daughter stopped by and took another order to-go. When the dust settled, we have very few leftovers, mostly turkey. I just finished fleshing-out the carcass, lots of meat for soup and other goodies.

A higher power needed me to cook, again. Glad I had the energy and money to pull it off.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends! Whether celebrating the American holiday or not, I am thankful for you all.

Desert this evening was a real surprise, a blueberry peach pie. My daughter got it from a local fruit farm that also has its own bakery. Surprisingly, all agreed it was delicious.

A mate and I decided to go bush for a survival test for a week with just our .22 rifles. We planned on eating rabbit or goat. It rained for the time and we only shot a fox (they are introduced pests here). This was the worst and most unusual meal I've had and the smell oozed through my skin for days ;vo.

When i went on a cruise some years back i decided to try quail for the first time. I don't know the recipe they used but it was awful lol. So i ended up eating prime rib instead :)

Reactions: garnetsilver
A mate and I decided to go bush for a survival test for a week with just our .22 rifles. We planned on eating rabbit or goat. It rained for the time and we only shot a fox (they are introduced pests here). This was the worst and most unusual meal I've had and the smell oozed through my skin for days ;vo.
Foxes are so beautiful and sightings here are often met with great joy. I never thought of eating one. Sorry you had a desperation meal Oz. I hope you saved the pelt.

Foxes are so beautiful and sightings here are often met with great joy. I never thought of eating one. Sorry you had a desperation meal Oz. I hope you saved the pelt.
I like foxes and raised a cub I rescued from a vertical mineshaft once, one day when grown it wandered off to the bush. It came back as an adult and used to sit with my free range chickens without harming them, weird stuff. They are very destructive to the native fauna here as well as killing lambs and chickens. We didn't keep the skin on that one, I think we were too ill, lol.