Once it was Sci Fi....

I would love to see one work! It’s like star Treks replicators.
When I first saw a 3D printer in action I said it was like a Replicator 1.0. I told my kids that I wanted to get a 3D printer and use it to make more 3D printers!

I think that the drone technology is pretty futuristic. I'm waiting for the day when I can order food delivery online and it arrives via autonomous drone. The Boston Dynamics dog robot is also pretty amazing, not quite the "robot of the future" but getting much closer. When they have one large and dexterous enough to do laundry, dishes and other household chores then it'll be the robot sci-fi has promised us.

Tires that last more than 25,000 miles.

Huge flat video displays.

Digital music & video. I remember how impressed I was with my first iPod Shuffle. Holy cow, 250 songs! Today that's not even worth mentioning.

A cure for cataracts.

Private companies in space.

I'm looking forward to developments in Holographic technology. I just find it really interesting how we could produce a 'solid' image from emitting light. It would bring a new dimension to the phone call with the person you are calling following you around the room.....

• Wow
Reactions: Debi and Benway
I love the Internet and smart phones. I’m all in waiting for my flying car.
Oh man, I’ve been wanting a flying car since I was a kid. Heck, I’d probably fly that old dumper Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I'm looking forward to developments in Holographic technology. I just find it really interesting how we could produce a 'solid' image from emitting light. It would bring a new dimension to the phone call with the person you are calling following you around the room.....
Uh oh. I can image just how wrong that holographic smartphone technology could go. I’m an adult but I’m too embarrassed to use any adult words just now :yum::yum:

Reactions: Benway

MANY THINGS WERE ONCE "SCI FI ONLY"!
WHAT ARE THINGS THAT WE THOUGHT FANTASTIC AS KIDS THAT ARE NOW IN REAL LIFE/REAL TIME?
AND HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THEM? LIKE OR PREFER THE OLD DAYS?
WHAT DO YOU THINK MAY BE COMING NEXT?

View attachment 31872
I think Benway and me might vote for flip phones.

Though I pulled it’s plug from the 1G network, I still have it. I can’t part with my for realz life Communicator. I’m keeping it close in case the Enterprise rings me for help.

I have a working flip phone now. 3G, it has one more year of life left in it. My smart phone is a company phone that will disappear when I retire.
I haven't made up my mind yet if I want a cell phone after I retire. Half the time I accidentally leave it at home now, lol. It's like the first 40 years of my life and I kind of like not having the tether with me constantly. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: Lynne
I do have an android phone. I have this only because my kids make me have one. lol I don't talk on the phone very often, and most people know to either text me or email me...email preferred! Some of the mods enjoy texting me just to see how I do. Critter actually had to teach me how to do it...lol On the other hand it has become the preferred way to communicate within the house with my son if he is in his room and about the only way I get hold of my bonus child Gabe. He's 21 and only answers through text.

Trying to keep up with the technology is a job on it's own lately.