Once it was cool....

I had several blue jean jackets over the years. One was sleeveless, One was embroidered and decorated, and one was just plain. I was always a fashion contradiction. I was a long-haired motorcycle-riding cowboy long before Waylon and willie made it popular. When I was doing it Willie Nelson had short hair and wore a suit and tie. Most Hippies didn't wear 200 dollar Tony Lama cowboy boots or Big bull rider belt buckles on their hip-hugger bellbottoms.

I always HATED getting a haircut and when I moved out of my parent's house I didn't go to a barber again for nearly 20 years. I had long hair because I am part Cherokee and didn't have to shave every day until I was 50. I had NO beard to amount to anything and was baby faced as hell. I still have no sideburns! This was back when mutton chop sideburns were the thing and I had nothing!

When I met my wife I'll never forget the look on her Daddy's face the first time he met me. They were extremely country and lived out in the rice fields and her daddy and Brother were roughnecks and tool pushers in the oil and sulfur fields. I showed up with hair halfway down my back in red, white, and blue button-up bell-bottom levies. He went out to work in his garden so I went out there with him. We talked gardening, ranching and hunting and he felt better. Despite it all, I was and still am a country boy at heart and have had horses most of my life and worked on the family farm in the summer all of my life. He and I got along great once he realized that I wasn't a freaky hippy.

Back then there were different kinds of cool groups and honestly, I never tried to and didn't fit into any of them. In high school, I was about the only football-playing nerd in the school. I was a loner until I met my wife and she rocked my world. Coming up on 50 years and she is still doing it too. Never was cool... No regrets.

I had several blue jean jackets over the years. One was sleeveless, One was embroidered and decorated, and one was just plain. I was always a fashion contradiction. I was a long-haired motorcycle-riding cowboy long before Waylon and willie made it popular. When I was doing it Willie Nelson had short hair and wore a suit and tie. Most Hippies didn't wear 200 dollar Tony Lama cowboy boots or Big bull rider belt buckles on their hip-hugger bellbottoms.

I always HATED getting a haircut and when I moved out of my parent's house I didn't go to a barber again for nearly 20 years. I had long hair because I am part Cherokee and didn't have to shave every day until I was 50. I had NO beard to amount to anything and was baby faced as hell. I still have no sideburns! This was back when mutton chop sideburns were the thing and I had nothing!

When I met my wife I'll never forget the look on her Daddy's face the first time he met me. They were extremely country and lived out in the rice fields and her daddy and Brother were roughnecks and tool pushers in the oil and sulfur fields. I showed up with hair halfway down my back in red, white, and blue button-up bell-bottom levies. He went out to work in his garden so I went out there with him. We talked gardening, ranching and hunting and he felt better. Despite it all, I was and still am a country boy at heart and have had horses most of my life and worked on the family farm in the summer all of my life. He and I got along great once he realized that I wasn't a freaky hippy.

Back then there were different kinds of cool groups and honestly, I never tried to and didn't fit into any of them. In high school, I was about the only football-playing nerd in the school. I was a loner until I met my wife and she rocked my world. Coming up on 50 years and she is still doing it too. Never was cool... No regrets.
I can so picture you! Well written Tex. You can’t beat a country life with family and horses.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
VCR's. Growing up I envied my friends who had VCR's in their houses. We never had one (or air conditioning but thats another story). My mother has problems with technology, and VCR's scared her, so we never had one.

VCR's. Growing up I envied my friends who had VCR's in their houses. We never had one (or air conditioning but thats another story). My mother has problems with technology, and VCR's scared her, so we never had one.
I hope you made up for it as adult? We didn’t have much tech as a kid either. I grew up in the 60/70s. I remember getting a color tv at about 12. It was so fun. I just kept staring at the screen.

I hope you made up for it as adult? We didn’t have much tech as a kid either. I grew up in the 60/70s. I remember getting a color tv at about 12. It was so fun. I just kept staring at the screen.
I was in heaven when I finally got a VCR. I don't remember when we got color tv, must have been when I was really young. Good news though, my mother at 70 something, is finally embracing technology. She as a cell phone and recently bought herself a lap top....the lap top has been an adventure.

rollerskating.... remember when the skating rink was the cool hangout spot.....lol......and of course you cant forget the worst thing of all, the most hideous time of our history, the very bottom of the barrel from which all evil resides......... DISCO........UHHHHHGGGGGGG

Reactions: Lynne and Duke