Old Fort Ghost.

Notmyrealname

Reaction score
This is one of my more recent experiences, though I have had a number over the years, and this has not been my last. The only reason that I will mention that I am in law enforcement, is because it does play a large part in this account. I will not mention my department/agency for obvious reasons, but I will say that it encompasses a very, very large rural area. One that is saturated in American history, and the fingerprints of the past can still be found today if one knows where to look.

I was working the midnight shift, which started at 10:00 p.m., and ended somewhere around 8:00 a.m., if we were lucky and things weren't too busy. With storms in the area, and with mostly dirt roads in my patrol area things were not busy. My partner and I were actually on one of the few highways in our area when we began discussing history, and how crazy it was that so much was made in this desolate section of the country. I'm talking Native American raids, Buffalo Soldiers, Outlaws, Pancho Villa, I'm sure you get the picture. Which of course turned to the paranormal, then back to history. We turned onto one of the bumpy dirt roads that is common for our area, and the clanging and banging of gear in our vehicle made it hard to talk and hear each other. After a while, we slowed down and started talking again. We noticed lightning ahead, and having seen the creeks in this area flash flood to over five feet deep I decided continuing on would probably be a bad idea. I was the senior guy that night and what I said goes.

That's when I asked him if he had ever been to the old fort cemetery(not its real name), and he told me that he had not. This conversation took place somewhere around 1:00 A.M. So of course we resolved to go. Now when I said that our patrol area was big, I mean big as we didn't arrive at the cemetery until almost 3:00 a.m. To get to the cemetery we had to park, duck underneath a fence that was beside a small spring, scale a small cliff and walk down the side of a mountain. All the while we were doing this I was getting more and more anxious which is unusual for me in this area, it was usually a calm nice area as far as I was concerned. As we made our way down the mountain, we heard the brush explode with activity. I turned back to my partner and told him not to worry, there are a lot of cows, deer and feral pigs in this area. We walked only a few more steps and he asked me to check his neck, because the back of it was burning. I looked and I saw distinct finger marks on him. Of course my first instinct when something touches me, or pokes, or burns me is to touch the area, but he assured me multiple times that he hadn't touched his neck.

As we approached the cemetery, I grew even more anxious to almost a sick feeling. I told him that for once I did not want to go into the actual cemetery. He asked if that was normal, and I told him "No, usually I like being here. This has a way different feel to it tonight. You wanna just look at the old fort foundation?" We were already standing on the foundation at that point so there was nowhere else we needed to go. The cemetery lay just ten feet away. I stood there for a moment deciding I wasn't giving in to my anxiety. " You know what, lets stop being little ****es I told him and marched right into the cemetery." Instant relief of anxiety. I then chalked all my anxiety up to having chugged an energy drink on the way over and I showed him around the piles of stone, right up to a grave I always make sure to visit anytime I am there. A four year old girl who died in 1896. After showing him around we decided to leave and go to another area to patrol.

In order to leave we started up the path we came in on, but this path has two forks which in the pitch black look exactly the same. I stopped at the first path and asked my partner if that was the one we needed to take, he told me that it was the one further up. Ok so the senior guy isn't always right. I took about half a step and I heard it. It was definitely the voice of a young girl singing. It was only one line of a song, and I couldn't make out what she was singing about. I still had my foot suspended in the air while this was happening as I had stopped dead. I placed my foot down, turned and asked if my partner had heard it. He told me " I heard that, I just didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you to think I was scared."

Surprisingly I was actually comforted by her singing. I always thought a child spirit would scare the heck out of me. Anyway sorry for the long story. I have others, some shorter, some longer.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the story. Now, I have to figure out how to shorten typing that moniker of yours!

Always happy to hear from our friends in law enforcement. You guys see a lot, but don't share these things often. So thank you for sharing here!

This is one of my more recent experiences, though I have had a number over the years, and this has not been my last. The only reason that I will mention that I am in law enforcement, is because it does play a large part in this account. I will not mention my department/agency for obvious reasons, but I will say that it encompasses a very, very large rural area. One that is saturated in American history, and the fingerprints of the past can still be found today if one knows where to look.

I was working the midnight shift, which started at 10:00 p.m., and ended somewhere around 8:00 a.m., if we were lucky and things weren't too busy. With storms in the area, and with mostly dirt roads in my patrol area things were not busy. My partner and I were actually on one of the few highways in our area when we began discussing history, and how crazy it was that so much was made in this desolate section of the country. I'm talking Native American raids, Buffalo Soldiers, Outlaws, Pancho Villa, I'm sure you get the picture. Which of course turned to the paranormal, then back to history. We turned onto one of the bumpy dirt roads that is common for our area, and the clanging and banging of gear in our vehicle made it hard to talk and hear each other. After a while, we slowed down and started talking again. We noticed lightning ahead, and having seen the creeks in this area flash flood to over five feet deep I decided continuing on would probably be a bad idea. I was the senior guy that night and what I said goes.

That's when I asked him if he had ever been to the old fort cemetery(not its real name), and he told me that he had not. This conversation took place somewhere around 1:00 A.M. So of course we resolved to go. Now when I said that our patrol area was big, I mean big as we didn't arrive at the cemetery until almost 3:00 a.m. To get to the cemetery we had to park, duck underneath a fence that was beside a small spring, scale a small cliff and walk down the side of a mountain. All the while we were doing this I was getting more and more anxious which is unusual for me in this area, it was usually a calm nice area as far as I was concerned. As we made our way down the mountain, we heard the brush explode with activity. I turned back to my partner and told him not to worry, there are a lot of cows, deer and feral pigs in this area. We walked only a few more steps and he asked me to check his neck, because the back of it was burning. I looked and I saw distinct finger marks on him. Of course my first instinct when something touches me, or pokes, or burns me is to touch the area, but he assured me multiple times that he hadn't touched his neck.

As we approached the cemetery, I grew even more anxious to almost a sick feeling. I told him that for once I did not want to go into the actual cemetery. He asked if that was normal, and I told him "No, usually I like being here. This has a way different feel to it tonight. You wanna just look at the old fort foundation?" We were already standing on the foundation at that point so there was nowhere else we needed to go. The cemetery lay just ten feet away. I stood there for a moment deciding I wasn't giving in to my anxiety. " You know what, lets stop being little ****es I told him and marched right into the cemetery." Instant relief of anxiety. I then chalked all my anxiety up to having chugged an energy drink on the way over and I showed him around the piles of stone, right up to a grave I always make sure to visit anytime I am there. A four year old girl who died in 1896. After showing him around we decided to leave and go to another area to patrol.

In order to leave we started up the path we came in on, but this path has two forks which in the pitch black look exactly the same. I stopped at the first path and asked my partner if that was the one we needed to take, he told me that it was the one further up. Ok so the senior guy isn't always right. I took about half a step and I heard it. It was definitely the voice of a young girl singing. It was only one line of a song, and I couldn't make out what she was singing about. I still had my foot suspended in the air while this was happening as I had stopped dead. I placed my foot down, turned and asked if my partner had heard it. He told me " I heard that, I just didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you to think I was scared."

Surprisingly I was actually comforted by her singing. I always thought a child spirit would scare the heck out of me. Anyway sorry for the long story. I have others, some shorter, some longer.
I could probably tell you the name of the song she was singing if you told the state. Belive it or not people back in those days didn't have a large collection of songs they knew unless they had an educated background, the songs they knew were usually ones past down from generation like the mother would sing her child to sleep and knowing she died at the age of 4 tells me the child was probably not in a family that had a lot of resources meaning they may well have gotten their drinking water from a creek or most likely an old well that had bacteria that would cause illnesses like
Dysentery ... the scariest part of this story for though is, you are a cop. hehe

Eh, just call me "Not". Surprisingly a lot of the guys in my department have had weird experiences. Strange lights, disembodied voices, unusual sightings. I actually started a small manhunt one time seeing a shadow person in the area we were searching for a suspect who ran from us, that was interesting to try to explain. We don't often like to talk about our experiences because we are the skeptical sort. Happens when we get lied to often enough. We don't want anyone to think we are loosing it. I still get a hard time from a time when I heard people talking where no one should have been, and there were actually people there. Just because I got on the radio and told them I was hearing voices. And the guy that gives me the hardest time almost tripped over one of the people I heard talking.

Reactions: Debi
Eh, just call me "Not". Surprisingly a lot of the guys in my department have had weird experiences. Strange lights, disembodied voices, unusual sightings. I actually started a small manhunt one time seeing a shadow person in the area we were searching for a suspect who ran from us, that was interesting to try to explain. We don't often like to talk about our experiences because we are the skeptical sort. Happens when we get lied to often enough. We don't want anyone to think we are loosing it. I still get a hard time from a time when I heard people talking where no one should have been, and there were actually people there. Just because I got on the radio and told them I was hearing voices. And the guy that gives me the hardest time almost tripped over one of the people I heard talking.
LOL You have to keep a sense of humor in the paranormal world. We all try to kind of fly under the radar sometimes. Getting the "look" from others can get bit old...lol

yes, think how a airline pilot feels when he see's a ufo. They lose their license if they report it.

Reactions: Debi
LOL You have to keep a sense of humor in the paranormal world. We all try to kind of fly under the radar sometimes. Getting the "look" from others can get bit old...lol
Indeed it can! Though I've seen things long enough anymore that even though I am skeptical of other accounts, I don't worry too much about the skepticism of others.

yes, think how a airline pilot feels when he see's a ufo. They lose their license if they report it.
Definitely Armand, are many of the unexplained encounters explainable? Yep, totally are. Are many of the unexplained encounters explainable, yep totally are.

Since this is the first interaction you and I have had, I must ask based on your previous post here, I am guessing that you are not exactly law enforcement friendly?
"Dysentery ... the scariest part of this story for though is, you are a cop. hehe" this being the main reason I'm asking.

Definitely Armand, are many of the unexplained encounters explainable? Yep, totally are. Are many of the unexplained encounters explainable, yep totally are.

Since this is the first interaction you and I have had, I must ask based on your previous post here, I am guessing that you are not exactly law enforcement friendly?
"Dysentery ... the scariest part of this story for though is, you are a cop. hehe" this being the main reason I'm asking.
Please don't take our Armand wrong. He's kind of our wild child and we love him. ..lol Good man with a slightly strange sense of humor who is NOT on parole or anything! But if someone is gonna get pulled over, it's normally our guy Armand. :p;)

Reactions: Notmyrealname