Old Faithful Inn

Keel M.

Reaction score
Website
4girlsandaghost.wordpress.com
I recently discovered the world of podcasts and found one I enjoy called Haunted Places. The first episode I listened to was about the Old Faithful Inn, situated right beside Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park. I'd never even heard of this hotel, so I looked it up and it is magnificent. The lobby has an ultra-high ceiling and a small spot up near the peak of the roof called the crow's nest. It's closed off to the public after an earthquake made it unstable, but apparently you can still get a guided tour by an employee because there are videos available of people climbing up there. I'm in no way afraid of heights, but that just kinda gave me the heebee-jeebees. :p

Anyway, the main story about a haunting there is of a woman who is seen carrying around her own head. The woman lived in the early 20th century and was an heiress who didn't wish to conform to what her parents wanted her to have in a husband. Instead, she wanted to marry someone else, but her father said he would disinherit her if she went through with the marriage. She did, but when her new husband discovered that there wouldn't be any of the wealth he was hoping to have, he decided to kill her. It happened at the Old Faithful Inn where they'd been honeymooning. She was found headless by a maid and it took them a while to find the woman's head because it was up in the crow's nest.

Apparently, the story was made up in the 80s by a guy who worked at the hotel. There are other hauntings that people have encountered, but the ghost bride is the most popular one.

Reactions: Debi
Welcome to the world of podcasts, Keel! We use a lot of them here for our evening programs. :) I'll check out your new find.

Reactions: Keel M. and Lynne