Oh, that Actor/Actress!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Was there an actor you tended to follow from program to program because you liked that actor/actress? Conversely, was there an actor you liked but didn't like a particular show the actor was cast in?
Anyone have a crush on your favorite?

James Garner. No matter the role, he always seemed to play the same character, that of a comical, lovable rogue working an angle. Maverick, Rockford Files, Support Your Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, all different roles but the same character type.

The lone exception was his role in the short-lived series "Nichols." He played two roles, initially a small town sherriff much like his other roles, but that character was killed off and replaced by his twin brother. Here Garner was much more of a badass.

I've always been a Harrison Ford fan. Of course as a young kid watching Star Wars it was very odd to see him play in other movies. I think Raiders changed that for me lol

James Garner. No matter the role, he always seemed to play the same character, that of a comical, lovable rogue working an angle. Maverick, Rockford Files, Support Your Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, all different roles but the same character type.

The lone exception was his role in the short-lived series "Nichols." He played two roles, initially a small town sherriff much like his other roles, but that character was killed off and replaced by his twin brother. Here Garner was much more of a badass.

Grand Prix. He had a few other non-cowboy roles over the years, some millitary. And don't forget The Notebook. These aren't TV shows but they do demonstrate that he was more than a cowboy actor.

When I worked in Hollywood I was very NON-starstruck. Working around famous actors had little effect on me. They were just people and half the time I didn't even know who they were anyway because I rarely watched TV or went to the movies then. I even had some conversations with people I thought were nobodies only to find out later they were big stars.

But, one day I was working on a TV sitcom at WB and I was sitting there watching the rehearsal of a scene and I looked over to my right and there sat Suzanne Pleshette. I had no idea she was even in this show. It startled me and I realized at that moment I had a big crush on her since I was a kid seeing her in "The Birds" and other movies. She was older of course but still quite pretty and, I admit, my heart raced a bit seeing her there in person.

Grand Prix. He had a few other non-cowboy roles over the years, some millitary. And don't forget The Notebook. These aren't TV shows but they do demonstrate that he was more than a cowboy actor.
Agreed, he wasn't a cowboy in Rockford Files either.

Few remember Maverick was revived as a series in the early 80s with Garner reprising the role of an older, but not necessarily wiser, Bret Maverick. He had won a ranch in a poker game and settled down there outside of a small town. It didn't last a full season, unfortunately.

The series featured an actress I've had a crush on, Darlene Carr, since her teen acting days. Also in the series was longtime Garner friend and colleague Stuart Margolin, same actor who played Angel in Rockford. In this series he played an old West version of Angel named Philo Sandeen. He was a hoot.

Last edited: