Odd Dream

Ultima Thule

Reaction score
I spent 4 years in the US Navy during the eighties. One night off the coast of California during a training cruise, I was asleep in my bunk after a long watch. I woke up the next morning remembering a disturbing and vivid dream. In the dream someone on board ship had been badly hurt, though I did not remember any details.

I took a shower, had breakfast and went about my normal routine. Nothing on board the ship seemed amiss. Everyone else was also going about their normal routine, and I quickly forgot about my dream. Shortly thereafter I was back on watch. That was when another watch-stander asked me if I had heard about what had occurred the night before. I said no and asked what had happened.

He told me that one of the enginemen had slipped on one of the steep, metal ladders in the middle of the night and had suffered a compound fracture to his leg. He had been air-lifted by helicopter to a hospital on the coast. I expressed my shock but did not say anything to anyone about my dream. I kept it to myself and just added it to my list of unexplained experiences.

Even back then the rational side of me wanted to think that I must have somehow unconsciously overhead the activity or people talking about the incident while I was asleep. But the berthing area in which I slept was towards the front of the ship while the engine room was amidships. Also, the emergency team would have had to transport the victim to the helicopter pad which was even further to the rear and therefore they would not have passed anywhere near where I slept. Of course, there is activity onboard ship day and night, and there is also a roving watch. So it is very possible that I did unconsciously overhear conversation. Yet, I am a relatively light sleeper and do not recall having woken up at anytime during that night. To this day, I am still not sure if there really was a rational explanation to it all, or if I did actually receive non-local communication through my dream.

You seem to have a “knowing” about the situation. I think our gut feelings on things are usually right. You picked up in his distress somehow. Did you know the guy ? Friends and family sometimes have connections. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

UltimaThule, your dream is very relatable. I call dreams like this precognitive dreams. Because I have had so many in the past 40 years* I know it is a real thing just by sheer volume.
My dreams usually foretell the minor details of the coming day. Normally I will remember between 1 and 3 dreams a night, and review them in the morning.
The dreams are never something big like the World Trade Center towers or lottery numbers, but small details that there is no way of knowing. When I get confirmation, that is my cue to start paying attention to all of the small details around me.
The antennas go up, senses sharpen, and sometimes I get the feeling that I should be a little wary or on guard.
The practical upshot of this is it keeps me away from people, places, and things that would harm me.
To me it also means, "God is with you." I like that part.:)
* these dreams started when I was 12 or 13 years old. I'm 52.

You seem to have a “knowing” about the situation. I think our gut feelings on things are usually right. You picked up in his distress somehow. Did you know the guy ? Friends and family sometimes have connections. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

I was not acquainted with him at all. The engineers of a ship, or 'snipes' as they are sometimes called, can be a clannish bunch, spending long hours down in the 'hole' working the ship's power plant. I was on the electronics side of things and did not interact with them very much at all. But, yes, there was definitely something non-ordinary about the whole situation, that is a tangible sense of 'knowing' or having experienced something that I would not have under ordinary circumstances. It left me wondering and somewhat perplexed. Had it not, I certainly would not still remember it with such clarity over 30 years later.

Thanks for the welcome. I registered several months ago with the intent of posting my experiences. But I often go through spells where I cannot seem to connect to anything but the material plane.

Reactions: Paintman
UltimaThule, your dream is very relatable. I call dreams like this precognitive dreams. Because I have had so many in the past 40 years* I know it is a real thing just by sheer volume.
My dreams usually foretell the minor details of the coming day. Normally I will remember between 1 and 3 dreams a night, and review them in the morning.
The dreams are never something big like the World Trade Center towers or lottery numbers, but small details that there is no way of knowing. When I get confirmation, that is my cue to start paying attention to all of the small details around me.
The antennas go up, senses sharpen, and sometimes I get the feeling that I should be a little wary or on guard.
The practical upshot of this is it keeps me away from people, places, and things that would harm me.
To me it also means, "God is with you." I like that part.:)
* these dreams started when I was 12 or 13 years old. I'm 52.

You are fortunate in your recollection and experience of dreams. Dreams are some of the most memorable and meaningful events of my life and take no second place to waking events. And I too listen very carefully to what my dreams are trying to tell me. I had an incredibly vivid and epic dream several years back related to the concept of entropy. I have drawn from it in my waking life ever since. It informed me that much. One day I hope to get it all down in writing.

You are fortunate in your recollection and experience of dreams. Dreams are some of the most memorable and meaningful events of my life and take no second place to waking events. And I too listen very carefully to what my dreams are trying to tell me. I had an incredibly vivid and epic dream several years back related to the concept of entropy. I have drawn from it in my waking life ever since. It informed me that much. One day I hope to get it all down in writing.
Me too, every word.:D
Those dreams are just as real as waking life and make incredible impressions. I use the word ' epic ' to describe the big dreams, too. There have been a few religious dreams that have become a wellspring for my faith.
Glad to know you. Feels validating. :)

Reactions: Lynne and Mokey