Nuclear Rockets for Mars to be tested

The grant of $12,500 doesn't sound like a lot of money unless that only covers paperwork. Was wondering why it took so long before nuclear propulsion came into play. Guessing much red tape and lessening fallout (no pun intended).

• Haha
Reactions: Ragnar0711
The grant of $12,500 doesn't sound like a lot of money unless that only covers paperwork. Was wondering why it took so long before nuclear propulsion came into play. Guessing much red tape and lessening fallout (no pun intended).
So...just where are they gonna test these things? I mean, just in case it blows up while testing? I'd prefer not to be singing "Radioactive".

So...just where are they gonna test these things? I mean, just in case it blows up while testing? I'd prefer not to be singing "Radioactive".
Would think they have some kind of grasp on it. Been using nuclear powered ships for some time now.

Reactions: Debi
Many, if not most, satellites are nuclear powered these days. That's just the satellites, however, not the propulsion (rockets) that send them into space. That's one of the reasons there is so much concern about reentering satellites not burning up entirely in the atmosphere. The Soviets dropped a satellite/reactor into Canada while I was in college in the late 70s, it required a massive cleanup effort.

The USAF build an experimental nuclear powered bomber back in the late 50s. The reactor was installed, but it was never used to actually power the bomber. The advent of ICBMs and the fear of a nuclear powered bomber crashing eventually killed the program. This was the program the late ufologist Stanton Friedman worked on back in the day.

Reactions: Debi and Selectric
very good point, we have enough of that stuff on the loose. I always wondered if it would be possible to terraform Mars. If so, that would be great, we could send the scientists there to practice.