Not weapons

I also doubt UFOs are Russian or Chinese weapons, but the author of this article does not understand hypersonic weapons and the nature of the threat they pose. Western navies are greatly concerned about the "carrier killer" potential posed by hypersonic anti-ship missiles being developed and fielded by both the Russians and Chinese.

Last edited:
UFOs are nothing like a missile or really even a fighter jet. I remember well the old days of the cold war when periodically the SAC bases would scramble. Now days even the military keeps their speed over land where there are people below the speed of sound. When they scramble the fighters and then the big bombers took to the sky that was not a consideration. Let me tell you when a plane goes over you busting the sound barrier it is LOUD and impressive. When it is an entire wing scrambling it is deafening.

My Grandparents lived almost under the flight path of a couple of big SAC bases up near Dallas and Ft. Worth. I was on a lake one time and a fighter went over us and was cracking it as it passed over us and it was AMAZING!!! The water was pushed down and then lifted up along the edges of the blast!! This effect went all the way across the lake. It scared the crap out of us. You do NOT hear a plane that is cracking the sound barrier coming!! One second it is quiet... then BOOOOM!!

The little town where they lived had boardwalks on the main street in Downtown (Such as a little town of 500 has a downtown) and then the SAC scrambled those boardwalks would shudder under you and the big windows in the stores would flex. Every so often one would shatter.

Times were different then. The threat was taken seriously that Russia might launch and if they did we only had about 15 to 20 minutes to get everything we had off the ground and in the air. Anything on the ground would not survive. In school, we periodically got to go out in the hall, get on our knees with our heads on the floor in our hands, and with open mouths pray that this really was just another drill.

If a UFO was low and traveling above the speed of sound it would make such an impression that it would be international news!!! You really don't get to look at things that are low and moving that fast. It is just a sort of BOOOM flash and what the heck was THAT!!! The only way that you can actually see something that is traveling that fast is for it to be FAR FAR away and high.

That is the thing that makes a UFO so unidentified. Other than a blimp we don't have anything that can fly low and slow that is of any size. When you see something high in the sky it is just a bright shiny thing and can be a lot of things. When you see something low and huge go over you traveling slow and totally silent you KNOW that it is not anything normal.

We used to see the Goodyear blimp all the time. It was housed in Houston and would come over and circle around the Goodyear plant pretty often. The blimp does not fly that kind of low and it is not silent.

Reactions: Paintman
A UFO, or UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena) to use its correct term, is anything that is seen flying and cannot be identified.

This broadens the whole horizon of what a UFO can be. A hypersonic weapon can indeed be classified as a UFO if it is seen flying and cannot be recognised as to what it is, whether it makes a noise or not. As too can a weather balloon, Chinese Candles, a drone or even a plane. Once identified, THEN it is classified.

The term 'UFO' is only a classification. 'UFO' does not mean 'spaceship' by any definition, it is just what we have adopted it to mean and associate it with.

Reactions: Paintman
UAP is no different than UFO, both simply mean that you are looking at something moving in the sky and don't know what it is. Neither is synonymous with an Alien Spaceship. The government just could NOT use UFO to describe what they were speaking about so they "invented" a new word grouping that means the same thing...UAP...

We see a lot of things in the sky that we can't positively identify. Technically these are all UFO/UAP. They might be anything, plane, blimp, falling star, orbiting object... Somehow UFO and UAP have become the words specifically used to infer that these unknown things in our skies are of alien construction.

Until one of these aliens decides to land on the White House lawn and comes out saying, "Take me to your leader please." I will assume that the great majority of the sightings are either misinterpreted sightings of terrestrial origins, some sort of natural phenomenon, or some sort of secret new human-designed flying device. NOTE, this applies to the great majority! It is that tiny number that just can't be explained with normal phenomenon descriptions that gives me a headache thinking about it. Why would interstellar visitors all be so shy? Do they fear us or are they protective of us somehow? Based on the many different descriptions of both the ships and their crews IF these are of alien nature there must be a lot of them from many different places visiting the zoo we call home to peek at the monkeys!