Not Astronauts

Well, to be picky, Branson didn't technically go 'into space' anyway and the zero-G's he and the crew showed off was actually parabolic zero-G (the gravitational effect due to the craft falling back down to earth).

Anyways, I do not think that they deserve to be titled as Astronauts. How long did they train to go up? Do they have a distinguished service record like the majority of those who make Astronaut status? Have they conducted any scientific experiments that have changed humanity?

To me, 'real' astronauts earn their place and title, not 'purchase' it..........
Good point

Does being a passenger on a cruise ship make you a sailor?

Reactions: Debi
On a serious note, with all the space tourism that is only available to the super-rich coming up, I wonder if we will see something along the line of a 'class' of astronauts:

• Class III Astronauts - Bottom of the pile. Not really an astronaut in technical terms, but hey, it keeps the super-rich happy.......
  • Class II Astronauts - Pilot's and other Tech's who sit in their fully automated craft on a regular basis. They have had a few years of training and take a lot of responsibility for the rest onboard the craft. Do not get involved in any other missions other than tourism based.
  • Class I Astronauts - Best of the best. Years of Military service or go through a strict selection process and undertake many years of training. Actively involved in ongoing technical missions.

With the new "Space Force" here, they may do away with astronaut entirely and go by another name. Perhaps new "ranks".