Nostradamus, prophet or what

TexDanm

Truth Seeker
Reaction score

I have, over the years, read a lot of stuff about the amazing predictions of Nostradamus. I was pretty impressed for a long time. What happened is that I met and spent a BUNCH of time with several “professional” psychics. I say “professional” in the sense that this is what they do for income. One had a radio show in Houston for a long tie where she would do readings for call-ins. They were GOOD and at times amazingly accurate. The thing is though that most of what they were doing is offering cold readings. Cold reading isn’t paranormal.

Basically a cold reading is where you gently toss out a few nebulous thoughts and let your client guide you and tell you their story. Once you have a good reading on their past and general current mental state you can offer them some pretty good advice and usually make some very shrewd predictions about their future. If once again you are rather nebulous in those predictions they will lay there and fade away into nothing in your client's memory EXCEPT when one makes a near miss or hit and THEN they will pull that memory up and be amazed.

When this is done the right way it can actually have beneficial results for your clients. The two people in particular that I am talking about were pretty gifted. I am fairly good at this and sometimes have moments of crystal clear precognitive insights and understandings. It doesn’t always come and isn’t always easy. The “Cold reading” is what even a talented “psychic” has to do to make a living at this. Some of my best “readings” were simply me being able to look at their problems from an uninvolved and objective perspective that they can’t have.

The Quatrains of Nostradamus are not predictions. Basically they are what I call POSTdictions. AFTER something happens you can go through his thousands of lines of loose babble and suddenly FIND something that is very loosely applicable. A PREmonition and a PREdiction are usually much clearer and to the point.

The human mind is constantly making order out of chaos. I honestly believe that part of clairvoyance may have to do with your mind putting together all sorts of separate things and coming up with surprising answers where none should have been there to be found. The technique for this is to simply open your conscious mind to what is there. From the earliest days of your life you have been told to pay attention, stop daydreaming, and focus. The thing is that they want you to pay attention and focus of the things that THEY consider important. In the process of “growing up” you start to ignore a lot of things that you nonetheless still make note of that you put together in your subconscious. These may then be offered up to you in a rather loose sense as dreams, daydream/visions or just “feelings”.

To me what Nostradamus mostly did in his quatrains is basically a carnival trick of written cold reads. There were a few times when he got specific and that leads me to believe that he was clairvoyant but because of the times he couldn’t make clear predictions for fear that the Catholic Church would burn him at the stake as they did anyone that was offering knowledge of any sort.

I have, over the years, read a lot of stuff about the amazing predictions of Nostradamus. I was pretty impressed for a long time. What happened is that I met and spent a BUNCH of time with several “professional” psychics. I say “professional” in the sense that this is what they do for income. One had a radio show in Houston for a long tie where she would do readings for call-ins. They were GOOD and at times amazingly accurate. The thing is though that most of what they were doing is offering cold readings. Cold reading isn’t paranormal.

Basically a cold reading is where you gently toss out a few nebulous thoughts and let your client guide you and tell you their story. Once you have a good reading on their past and general current mental state you can offer them some pretty good advice and usually make some very shrewd predictions about their future. If once again you are rather nebulous in those predictions they will lay there and fade away into nothing in your client's memory EXCEPT when one makes a near miss or hit and THEN they will pull that memory up and be amazed.

When this is done the right way it can actually have beneficial results for your clients. The two people in particular that I am talking about were pretty gifted. I am fairly good at this and sometimes have moments of crystal clear precognitive insights and understandings. It doesn’t always come and isn’t always easy. The “Cold reading” is what even a talented “psychic” has to do to make a living at this. Some of my best “readings” were simply me being able to look at their problems from an uninvolved and objective perspective that they can’t have.

The Quatrains of Nostradamus are not predictions. Basically they are what I call POSTdictions. AFTER something happens you can go through his thousands of lines of loose babble and suddenly FIND something that is very loosely applicable. A PREmonition and a PREdiction are usually much clearer and to the point.

The human mind is constantly making order out of chaos. I honestly believe that part of clairvoyance may have to do with your mind putting together all sorts of separate things and coming up with surprising answers where none should have been there to be found. The technique for this is to simply open your conscious mind to what is there. From the earliest days of your life you have been told to pay attention, stop daydreaming, and focus. The thing is that they want you to pay attention and focus of the things that THEY consider important. In the process of “growing up” you start to ignore a lot of things that you nonetheless still make note of that you put together in your subconscious. These may then be offered up to you in a rather loose sense as dreams, daydream/visions or just “feelings”.

To me what Nostradamus mostly did in his quatrains is basically a carnival trick of written cold reads. There were a few times when he got specific and that leads me to believe that he was clairvoyant but because of the times he couldn’t make clear predictions for fear that the Catholic Church would burn him at the stake as they did anyone that was offering knowledge of any sort.
Dan, I tend to agree with your overall thesis. I've never been a big fan of the guy to begin with. Anything quite that cryptic is difficult to really prove as a "hit." It can be bent in so many directions.

Reactions: garnetsilver
It is hard to figure out what his intentions were. at the time of his writing, the catholic church was one the rampage and one wrong move could easily be your last. It reminds me a lot of the book of Revelations and in the end offers many more questions than answers. I think that he quatrains are sort of like the tarot cards and can be used to seek answers but have no answers in and of themselves.

On the Nostradamus point. I tend to agree. Anyone can make a future prediction and sooner or later something is bound to match. Also by his own words he said the future was not set and we had the power to change it. So I personally don’t put much stock in prognosticators. They may be seeing a “possible” future, but I believe God and the group consciousness of humanity changes things.

On the point of physic readers, I believe there are real gifted individuals who are able to obtain information from a paranormal source. I can see why there are some people who would want to fake this ability for profit and that is wrong. I think people deserve honesty when it comes to their personal life and regardless if it helps them the ends don’t justify the means.

Reactions: Debi