Northern Lights In US this weekend

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Northern Lights In The U.S. This Weekend? Dramatic Geomagnetic Storm Predicted As Milky Way Peaks

960x0.jpg

Want to see the Northern Lights AND the Milky Way? Those in the northern U.S. states–and even in cities including New York and Boston–could have some extraordinary luck this weekend. The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center is predicting a G1 or G2 Geomagnetic Storm for both Saturday and Sunday nights.

Where to see the northern lights this weekend
The aurora borealis are possible overhead in the U.S. states of Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Maine according to abc57. Although they're not nearly as well placed, cities including Omaha, Des Moines, Chicago, Milwaukee, South Bend, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, New York City and Boston could also get a glimpse of a "forest fire" layer of green above the northern horizon.

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I’ll have to go look tonight.

I saw glimpses of the northern lights as a kid in Ohio. Nothing like the picture above

Reactions: Paintman
I've had several alerts on my phone but it's been raining for days on end here so no chance of seeing them this time. I've seen them several times now the first being the most spectacular a wee bit like Debi's pic above. All these pics of the lights look bright and vibrant but they are not true to life being long exposures on the camera, still awesome but not the celestial fireworks many of these pics show.

Reactions: Lynne and 7Critter
My Dad grew up in the hills of eastern Kentucky from the late 1920s through the mid 40s. He told us on several occasions of seeing the "sky on fire" one night in the late 30s, of people in his small town all running to the little community church where the preacher pronounced it was the end of the world. It wasn't until many years later (mid 70s) when we got our first color TV that he saw the Northern Lights on TV and finally realized what he'd seen.

I found out later still that worldwide "unknown lights" in the sky were prophesied by the BVM at Fatima as a sign of what was to become WWII. This occurred in Jan 1938, and is almost certainly what my Dad saw.

Last edited:
The first time I saw it I woke up around midnight with the bedroom lit up with a green glow with curtains shut. Myself and my partner got dressed and went outside to this awesome sight, Jane just gasped and couldn't speak and although I knew what it was I didn't expect what I was seeing and something I'll never forget.

I told my dad about it and he said to me 'no matter the time of the night / early morning call me'. He'd never seen the lights and never did. Most of my life I was so envious of dad for having seen a comet until Hale-Bopp visited and I finally got to see one (with dad).

I found out later still that worldwide "unknown lights" in the sky were prophesied by the BVM at Fatima as a sign of what was to become WWII.
I did not realize this was part of the prophecy. Thanks, Duke.

Reactions: Lynne