No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Several years ago, I found a credit card in the parking lot of a large grocery store. As luck would have it, there was branch of the bank that issued the card in the same parking lot. I immediately took the card into the bank, and was asked for my name and phone number so the card owner could thank me.

The next day I got a call from a police detective. He asked me a series of questions that insinuated I had stolen the card, as opposed to having found it. He asked about what time I found it, what stores I had gone to that day before turning in the card, had I used the card, etc. After a few minutes of this I told him I had found the card, turned it into the bank, and I had nothing else to discuss. He said he'd be getting back to me.

A few days later he called back, and asked if I had remembered anything else or had anything to tell him. I replied with a simple, "no." Dead silence for maybe thirty seconds, then he said he'd get back with me if he needed anything else.

I never heard from him again, but decided if ever faced with a similar situation, I'd leave the card where it was.

I was painting a large common entry door at a duplex. Ordinarily there is not a lot of money in this type of work but they were long-term customers and wanted to do right by them.
Typically I take the door knob and lock set and deadbolt off prior to painting. It needed a real heavy sanding because there were many coats of paint on there. If I smooth it out properly it would look pristine - especially for a 50 year old door.
Well that was also a 50-year old lock with some broken pieces. The lock worked but that's because the broken pieces were held into place.
I spent 6 hours putting it all back together. There was no way to buy a replacement given its age. It really was a frustrating day of trial and error lining up the mechanisms.
Yeah, smart move Duke. I liked how you handled the detective.

I could write a book on this one. I'll stick to just one for now.

A good friend of mine's daughter was getting married. Her husband lost his job right before the wedding and they couldn't afford the caterer. Four of us from work banded together to not only cook and serve but to also buy the food and soft drinks. We did this buffet style, so it wasn't difficult to manage and we did Mexican food as requested. The church had all the serving dishes available for use so at least we had that but we had to clean everything after use.

During the reception, we had the food out for about an hour and a half then started taking it down to clean up when the dancing started to get going. Suddenly, the bride's friends were on a rampage about what bad service that was and wanted to know just who we thought we were to take things down so they couldn't eat more. The bride sat there, full knowing this was FREE and we were mom's friends and never said a word in our defense. Luckily, mom did find out about it later and apologized, but that little bride didn't appreciate the gift she was given.

Back when I rode the city buses a lot, I had an errand to do downtown, so I took the bus and was about to visit the store when I heard meowing from a small parking lot. There was a small orange tabby cat sitting in the middle of the lot. From the way he behaved, I could tell that someone had just driven in and dumped him there. The last familiar smell was from the car he had been in, so he kept circling that area and meowing.

I found a pay phone (this was in the 80's) and called animal control. I said I would wait for them in the lot. When they got there, the man immediately asked if the cat belonged to me! I was struck speechless for a moment, then realized that I would have a hard time convincing him that it wasn't my cat. I did explain that I had come in on a bus and certainly couldn't have brought a cat with me. He all but accused me of abandoning my pet, and lectured me about responsible pet ownership. He then tried to make me pay a fee. I ended up walking away while he was still talking.

I got asked by a friend to help move one of their female friend's stuff from where she was living as I had a truck. Half way through the move the girls boyfriend came in and thought I was taking her away from him and proceeded to beat into me and I ended up on the road nearly breaking my neck. I'd never met the women and that was the last time I helped someone move, apart from family.

I was painting a large common entry door at a duplex. Ordinarily there is not a lot of money in this type of work but they were long-term customers and wanted to do right by them.
Typically I take the door knob and lock set and deadbolt off prior to painting. It needed a real heavy sanding because there were many coats of paint on there. If I smooth it out properly it would look pristine - especially for a 50 year old door.
Well that was also a 50-year old lock with some broken pieces. The lock worked but that's because the broken pieces were held into place.
I spent 6 hours putting it all back together. There was no way to buy a replacement given its age. It really was a frustrating day of trial and error lining up the mechanisms.
Yeah, smart move Duke. I liked how you handled the detective.
I’m assuming the owner didn’t say thank you ?

Reactions: garnetsilver
I am a easy touch and have often been taken advantage of, even knowingly so, lol. The funniest one I can remember was when I was talked into taking two seniors to a movie in the park (free to the local public). When I pulled up to pick them up there was a parade of elders piling into my car, including one with a wheel chair and oxygen. Thank goodness I had room in the back. Once we arrived I had to make multiple trips to get popcorn and drinks. They had a good time and I had a nervous breakdown.

I am a easy touch and have often been taken advantage of, even knowingly so, lol. The funniest one I can remember was when I was talked into taking two seniors to a movie in the park (free to the local public). When I pulled up to pick them up there was a parade of elders piling into my car, including one with a wheel chair and oxygen. Thank goodness I had room in the back. Once we arrived I had to make multiple trips to get popcorn and drinks. They had a good time and I had a nervous breakdown.
OMG...this is SOOOOO you! I have to laugh but your Angel wings are a beautiful thing, girl.