Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
(Thanks to jadamz for the topic)

17484-Sheryl-Sandberg-Quote-What-would-you-do-if-you-weren-t-afraid.jpg

(Thanks to jadamz for the topic)

View attachment 48123
Jads spider dance challenge...:D............... seriously though, i dont know.....i think this is also a way of asking "what are you afraid of ? ". so i will have to think on that a while. ive done a lot of things that i should have been afraid to do, did some things to overcome the fear of them. i try not to let fear control or keep me from experiencing life. but let me think on it a bit, im sure i will get something i would like to do but was / are afraid of trying........(maybe hang gliding, i hate flying but think hang gliding could be cool, but kinda afraid, not of flying, but of who is in control more than anything.....lol)

Jad's spider dance would have me in traction and in the hospital for a month..lol

I think fear has often held me back on trying something new. I always worry it won't be "enough" or "right".

Jad's spider dance would have me in traction and in the hospital for a month..lol

I think fear has often held me back on trying something new. I always worry it won't be "enough" or "right".
i used to be like that, but life choices brought me out of that shell somewhat, im still actually extremely shy and dont like being "the center of attention" and it is hard to accept appraisal or attention without clamming up. ive done a lot to overcome the shyness, from teaching courses, speaking, etc... but it is always hard to do... everything i now regret not trying was because of fear, i try not to add to those regrets any longer...... conquer the fear and be free.....heck, even participating on forums was very hard for a long time, and PM's were out of the question.....lol.... luckily ive gotten past the forum hangups over the years.....(though PM's are still hard, if not impossible, for me to initiate), lol. fear/shyness/embarrassment is a strong emotion that can keep you from enjoying life to its fullest or pursuing something of interest. i try not to let that happen any longer.

If I'm in a "work" mode, I'm good to go. I know my job and my place. Outside of that, I have become more of an observer than a participant at times. Here on the forum, I'm comfortable with everything, but out in the world? Not as much.

This is an interesting question, the more I think about it the more I realize that fear isn't really stopping me.

For example, I would love to go skydiving. I'm afraid of heights and have reoccurring nightmares about falling off of buildings. But I've been rock climbing and repelling numerous times despite that fear. The is a skydiving school about 45 minutes from my house that I have researched but never actually went through. It's a little bit pricey, around $500 for the classes and initial jump, and none of my family or friends have any interest in going with me. My wife is absolutely terrified of just regular flying so skydiving is completely out of the question. So I ask myself "what's stopping me" and it's not the fear but rather I'm not wanting to spend that much money on something but have nothing to show for it, not even memories that can be shared with lived ones. It feels lonely and selfish, not scary.

I would try harder to get published, and just once, I would like to parachute from a plane (I'd definitely be afraid to do that!)
This is an interesting question, the more I think about it the more I realize that fear isn't really stopping me.

For example, I would love to go skydiving. I'm afraid of heights and have reoccurring nightmares about falling off of buildings. But I've been rock climbing and repelling numerous times despite that fear. The is a skydiving school about 45 minutes from my house that I have researched but never actually went through. It's a little bit pricey, around $500 for the classes and initial jump, and none of my family or friends have any interest in going with me. My wife is absolutely terrified of just regular flying so skydiving is completely out of the question. So I ask myself "what's stopping me" and it's not the fear but rather I'm not wanting to spend that much money on something but have nothing to show for it, not even memories that can be shared with lived ones. It feels lonely and selfish, not scary.

flying is more scary than jumping......... ive made numerous jumps from both planes, prop driven and jet, and helicopters.....the flying part was always the scariest part......lol..... while all that is now well behind me, i will say it is quite a rush and glad i got to experience it along the way......

We are much alike on this topic, I its more the fear of spending money on non-priority things. If money were no object, I too would face my fear of skydiving. I was offered years ago when I worked for a company that also owned a small airport that flew a well-known group of skydivers. I was too afraid to do it. On a side note, this same group had a terrible plane accident and were killed some years later.

flying is more scary than jumping......... ive made numerous jumps from both planes, prop driven and jet, and helicopters.....the flying part was always the scariest part......lol..... while all that is now well behind me, i will say it is quite a rush and glad i got to experience it along the way......
Anybody who voluntarily flings themselves out of a plane relying only on a sheet of fabric and some string to keep them from certain death has my admiration.