Politics No Doritos for you!

remember when the gov't gave out hams and 5lb blocks of cheese instead of food stamps. God I loved that cheese, came straight from Wisconsin and was always fresh. Was not really cheese but cheese food but damn good:) I don't think they should bother limiting food purchases, especially for the disabled. If you are on disability, you have it hard enough, they want to take their oreos away? Let them eat cake and soda all day if they can buy enough for the month.I think they should crack down on the obama phones, since when is a phone a necessity?
I agree with you that someone on disability or retired or who just needs the extra assistance should not have their food options limited, but I think that there should be limits. I agree with Debi that the people getting assistance should be weeded out. There are plenty of people who need the assistance who do "not qualify" for it, yet let someone pop out 5 kids by 6 different baby daddies, never worked a day in her life and she's hooked up. I knew one such woman on my caseload about 3 years ago who got 1,200.00 a month in food stamps. She brought home all kinds of crap like Tombstone pizzas and other expensive processed foods. I never buy tombstone because I can't afford it. I buy the crappy house brand or the 99 cent pizzas. There was a time in my life where my funds were so limited that I only got the essentials except for a few treats like coffee (which can be expensive) or maybe a box of Entenman's but this was my treat for the week. So I understand the concept of a treat, but someone buying shrimp, lobster or other luxury food on the public dime is out of line.

I agree with you that someone on disability or retired or who just needs the extra assistance should not have their food options limited, but I think that there should be limits. I agree with Debi that the people getting assistance should be weeded out. There are plenty of people who need the assistance who do "not qualify" for it, yet let someone pop out 5 kids by 6 different baby daddies, never worked a day in her life and she's hooked up. I knew one such woman on my caseload about 3 years ago who got 1,200.00 a month in food stamps. She brought home all kinds of crap like Tombstone pizzas and other expensive processed foods. I never buy tombstone because I can't afford it. I buy the crappy house brand or the 99 cent pizzas. There was a time in my life where my funds were so limited that I only got the essentials except for a few treats like coffee (which can be expensive) or maybe a box of Entenman's but this was my treat for the week. So I understand the concept of a treat, but someone buying shrimp, lobster or other luxury food on the public dime is out of line.
you had to mention Entenman's............................:) 1200 a month????? that is more than i spend on food now. Family of 4
7203000225.jpg

When I was in grade school, we used to go to the Entenman's factory in Bay Shore to get the outlet cakes!

Reactions: sal
Good grief....I'm sitting here making out my grocery list for tomorrow and you two are making the dang thing grow! Let's see, oreos, cheese, coffee cake.....bigger pants.....:rolleyes:

it used to be call
Good grief....I'm sitting here making out my grocery list for tomorrow and you two are making the dang thing grow! Let's see, oreos, cheese, coffee cake.....bigger pants.....:rolleyes:
used to be Starfield cheese but now it is Land o' lakes cheese product.
48108.jpg

it used to be call

used to be Starfield cheese but now it is Land o' lakes cheese product.
48108.jpg
I think I've seen that in the deli section! Hmmm...will be on my list tomorrow if I can find it. Now everybody stop with the food memories or I'm in trouble here.

Yep, that phone thing is a sore spot for me too. A cell phone is a LUXURY item - you do NOT require one. I don't spend $100 a month on a cell phone to keep my expenses down, and here people get it for free?! Insanity.
This one always ticks me off, too! There are working people out there who don't have cell phones because of the exact reason you state - they are luxury items and not necessities. Why should tax dollars be used to pay for Obama phones, especially when it's been proven that the entire program is riddled with abuse. Just search "obama phone fraud". :mad:

I'm going in the complete opposite direction, I think we need LESS restrictions. I'm on food stamps right now, and it would be a hell of a lot easier if I could stop into a McDs and buy a McChicken for a dollar, rather than go to the store and buy all the necessary ingredients to cook something myself. Not to mention the cost of electric to run whatever is needed at home to cook.

That being said, my father gets nearly $100 more a month than I do, yet by the beginning of the third week his fridge and cabinets are bare. My house, despite having friends and occasionally family come over needing stuff, is still stuffed full of food and drink well into the next month. I'm seriously still stocked up from a month and a half ago, and he can barely go two weeks, despite getting a hundred dollars more. It's all in how you shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi