Politics No Doritos for you!

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://personalliberty.com/missouri-may-ban-junk-food-steak-lobster-food-stamp-users/

A Missouri state legislator is seeking support for a bill that would end food stamp recipients’ ability to purchase processed snack foods and sodas, as well as some “luxury” foods, in the Show-Me State.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Great idea, which means it has no chance of passing.

I have to disagree with this one, Surge. I know a few folks on food stamps....disabled people who barely make ends meet. The occasional purchase of a snack food shouldn't be prohibited for them. Also, it's just more control by the government on food...one step away from controlling OUR food purchases.

I see your points, Debi. I suppose the people I have in mind are the ones who abuse the system, not the ones who genuinely need the assistance. I guess there's no real way to restrict the abusers without also restricting the needy. Knee jerk reaction? Me? ;)

There will always be those who abuse the system. Any system. The people I speak of barely make it on the meager assistance they get. It's rare they get anything "special" for themselves. The ones who abuse are usually the ones working under the table or scamming the system in some way, not the ones who truly need it.

And my biggest worry is that dang doorway opening even a crack more for the government to regulate OUR food. Once opened, you never get that door closed!

Reactions: Seahunter and surge
I can see both sides, but certain items such as lobster should not be on the public dime. Damn, I work 50 hours a week and even I can't afford lobster. Why should someone who's food is getting subsidized by my tax dollars get this while I don't? I understand that we can't let people starve in the streets, but these people also should not live high on the hog.

Reactions: surge and Seahunter
I think instead of regulating what food they buy, we need to weed out who's getting the food stamps. I personally know of someone who lives with the significant other and has 3 children with him. She claims he doesn't live there. He makes mega bucks. She collects the food stamps, yet goes on lovely vacations, is getting her schooling paid, and gets WIC. One surprise visit to that home would bounce her right off of all that....check the closet for his clothes, people! Check for the two new cars in the driveway in the evening. That's the people who are buying lobster with it.

remember when the gov't gave out hams and 5lb blocks of cheese instead of food stamps. God I loved that cheese, came straight from Wisconsin and was always fresh. Was not really cheese but cheese food but damn good:) I don't think they should bother limiting food purchases, especially for the disabled. If you are on disability, you have it hard enough, they want to take their oreos away? Let them eat cake and soda all day if they can buy enough for the month.I think they should crack down on the obama phones, since when is a phone a necessity?

I think instead of regulating what food they buy, we need to weed out who's getting the food stamps. I personally know of someone who lives with the significant other and has 3 children with him. She claims he doesn't live there. He makes mega bucks. She collects the food stamps, yet goes on lovely vacations, is getting her schooling paid, and gets WIC. One surprise visit to that home would bounce her right off of all that....check the closet for his clothes, people! Check for the two new cars in the driveway in the evening. That's the people who are buying lobster with it.
Just like with most government assistance, there is no incentive NOT to work the system. There are generations now of people that have more babies, stay single, and lie about their financial situation to get the government free ride. These abusers should not be able to live off the government, but only get enough to help subsidize their living.

remember when the gov't gave out hams and 5lb blocks of cheese instead of food stamps. God I loved that cheese, came straight from Wisconsin and was always fresh. Was not really cheese but cheese food but damn good:) I don't think they should bother limiting food purchases, especially for the disabled. If you are on disability, you have it hard enough, they want to take their oreos away? Let them eat cake and soda all day if they can buy enough for the month.I think they should crack down on the obama phones, since when is a phone a necessity?
Yep, that phone thing is a sore spot for me too. A cell phone is a LUXURY item - you do NOT require one. I don't spend $100 a month on a cell phone to keep my expenses down, and here people get it for free?! Insanity.

Yup! I remember that cheese! lol It really WAS the best! Our neighbor got it when I was a kid and I was jealous of such goodness! lol
And thank you...we the disabled like our oreos! lol I'm not on food stamps or anything, but the concept remains valid. :D I worked my back til broken for 35 years to earn those cookies!

Reactions: surge and sal