Nightmare or Haunting?

Thanks for the welcome! You are a keen observer and went directly to the point of my story. The very thing that has worried me about this dream is the message from the woman's voice saying that the Shadowman is broken and that he can't hurt me now -- unlike the living who can. The implication seems to be that he was someone who had harmed me when he was alive, but I can't think of anyone who fits that description.
Who said it has to be someONE? Might just be something that used to be in your life. Maybe a toxic lifestyle or something of that nature.

Who said it has to be someONE? Might just be something that used to be in your life. Maybe a toxic lifestyle or something of that nature.

I know...we should never assume things. The reason I thought it might be someone as opposed to something is because the voice in the dream referred to it as 'him' as if talking about a person but in the past tense -- as in someone who is now deceased.

What you said about toxic past life made me laugh for a moment. First, I always say that life is not a style. And my very strict religious upbringing has actually been seen by others as highly toxic!

Reactions: Charleh
I know...we should never assume things. The reason I thought it might be someone as opposed to something is because the voice in the dream referred to it as 'him' as if talking about a person but in the past tense -- as in someone who is now deceased.

What you said about toxic past life made me laugh for a moment. First, I always say that life is not a style. And my very strict religious upbringing has actually been seen by others as highly toxic!
Maybe you still dwell on that upbringing and the voice was telling you not to be afraid? Idk, I might just be making assumptions at this point. What other possible reasons do you think you have for the dream?

Maybe you still dwell on that upbringing and the voice was telling you not to be afraid? Idk, I might just be making assumptions at this point. What other possible reasons do you think you have for the dream?

No, I don't think you're just making assumptions. It's a very good observation! I do worry and obsess over religion. I often say that the scariest thing that could arrive on my doorstep on Halloween is a man costumed as a protestant minister or televangelist. And I believe that is the meaning of the dream -- the 'boogeyman' being organized religion in general rather than the ghost of a specific individual.

Reactions: Armand
No, I don't think you're just making assumptions. It's a very good observation! I do worry and obsess over religion. I often say that the scariest thing that could arrive on my doorstep on Halloween is a man costumed as a protestant minister or televangelist. And I believe that is the meaning of the dream -- the 'boogeyman' being organized religion in general rather than the ghost of a specific individual.
I’m a Presbyterian currently going to a Pentecostal church. I was also in a Christian cult once so I know how you feel about organized religion.

Maybe that’s what the voice was telling you not to fear. Maybe there’s a way to put that to practice?

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
Doesn’t sound like a dream to me. What does your gut tell you ? I think u had an expierence. Whatever this shadow person is he appears in this form to others and who knows there may be more than one entity that looks the same. These entities always seem negative. Perhaps he had been oppressing you a long time unbeknownst to you. Perhaps the appearance was to show you that you were winning the battle. Attachments are hard to get rid of and some last lifetimes. I would have fainted or ran screaming out of the house. You must have a guardigan angel protecting you.

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
I’m a Presbyterian currently going to a Pentecostal church. I was also in a Christian cult once so I know how you feel about organized religion. Maybe that’s what the voice was telling you not to fear. Maybe there’s a way to put that to practice?

Your religious background is similar to mine -- with the difference that it was my family and friends who got into pseudo-Christian cultish practices. I was in trouble with a lot of people for not joining their beliefs, and that has something to do with my dread of religion.

Maybe you're right about the dream interpretation. It's a new way of looking at that I hadn't thought of! The 'voice' in the dream could be me reassuring myself that those conflicts are in the past.

Reactions: Charleh
Doesn’t sound like a dream to me. What does your gut tell you ? I think u had an expierence. Whatever this shadow person is he appears in this form to others and who knows there may be more than one entity that looks the same. These entities always seem negative. Perhaps he had been oppressing you a long time unbeknownst to you. Perhaps the appearance was to show you that you were winning the battle. Attachments are hard to get rid of and some last lifetimes. I would have fainted or ran screaming out of the house. You must have a guardigan angel protecting you.

I am undecided about the whole thing. I like the psychological interpretation, but my 'gut feeling' is that it wasn't just a nightmare. And yes, my first thought was that the woman's voice represented a guardian spirit.

This dream was actually only part of a series of similar dreams with 'messages' -- some of which turned out to be predictive of actual events. Recently I did some refresher reading on spiritual oppression, and every bit of it is happening to me.

I am undecided about the whole thing. I like the psychological interpretation, but my 'gut feeling' is that it wasn't just a nightmare. And yes, my first thought was that the woman's voice represented a guardian spirit.

This dream was actually only part of a series of similar dreams with 'messages' -- some of which turned out to be predictive of actual events. Recently I did some refresher reading on spiritual oppression, and every bit of it is happening to me.
If you feel that what you’re dealing with is spiritual oppression, feel free to share with us. Some of us have somewhat of a speciality with this kind of thing.