Night Terrors and Sentient Beings

No worries and I apologise profusely, I’m really not intent on causing upset or alluding to a darker nature of things (I appreciate between a picture of Mime and a few random thread comments it’s pretty impossible to judge anyones character). If you have the power Debi, by all means remove the thread. I don’t wish it to cause any distress.

After recounting my “old hag” experience on another thread, I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced anything like the following:

Unlike old hag, who I’ve only experienced once thank goodness, I will have this same night terror at random intervals, usually for a couple of nights at a time. They’re not like nightmares for me, I actually enjoy a good nightmare, there’s a distinct difference in feel. A nightmare is like watching a movie on a cathode TV.

In these dreams or “terrors” I will wake up in bed and the attention to detail is unreal, from the dark shapes of furniture in the room with slight intrusion of the street light outside, to a book I was reading that night on the bedside table. I think I’m awake. I’m not a great sleeper and normally have trouble getting back off to sleep, so I’ll often just get up, go downstairs and try to nod off on the couch as not to disturb my partner, so I do exactly that in these dreams.

The issue arises at the first light switch. Either the light will offer a really dim glow or won’t come on at all when I hit the switch. The light switch has now become a sort of trigger for me along the lines of “Oh [insert blasphemy here] I’m dreaming”. At this moment I am fully lucid, fully aware I’m trapped in a dream. The mood of the dream changes instantly and I am drenched with fear. This is where it gets trippy. I know that ‘it’ knows I am aware, and it doesn’t like it . It’s just like a darkness that starts filling the room towards me, sometimes it laughs and speaks with a - I hate to be stereotypical, but - menacing tone, though I can’t remember anything it says. Accustomed to these dreams I’m usually screaming and shouting already rather than paying any attention to its dialogue. Over the years my pathetic “mmmhh” noises have grown to be more vocal screams, which is quite effective at waking my partner up.

I don’t know if this is my subconcious attacking the fully aware concious part of me, being like “This is my domain and you shouldn’t be here” or, well, I wouldn’t want to speculate.

Anyone had anything similar that can shine a light on what this is. (Providing the light turns on). I am happy to accept “just a bad dream”
The part about light switches failing to provide light? Very familiar. When I was about ten, I started having a recurring nightmare, in which a closet door in the room would slowly open and a cloaked figure would glide out. I would scramble off the bed and start running in slow motion,of course, and the cloaked thing would eventually catch me up and wrap me in the cloak, and I would start to smother. The dream persisted, on and off, for about ten years. Sometimes I would think I was awake and entering my bedroom, go to turn on the light, and it wouldn't work, or would be very dim. Then the ominous feeling would start and I would fearfully watch the closet door slowly open, and the whole thing would start again. Sometimes I would be running down a long hall with a tiny light at the end, and could hear my family cheerfully preparing a meal, laughing and talking while I struggled to reach them. One of the most awful dreams ever.

I once read somewhere (wish I could remember the source) that when you try to turn on a light in a dream and it fails, that energy vampires are present. It is an interesting thought!

Reactions: ozentity
No worries and I apologise profusely, I’m really not intent on causing upset or alluding to a darker nature of things (I appreciate between a picture of Mime and a few random thread comments it’s pretty impossible to judge anyones character). If you have the power Debi, by all means remove the thread. I don’t wish it to cause any distress.
Once again, Tomy, you are just fine with what you have posted! All good.

Speaking on the nightmare lucid dream , the light switch trigger is a good cue that you are awake but dreaming. Many people try to lucid dream on purpose. The fun part about it as you can make anything happen. If your in a scary situation give yourself super powers or change your scene. You are in control! Set the intention of what you will do in advance , so when it happens you are prepared to take charge of the dream and conquer your fear.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi