Nicknames!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
(Thanks to Duke for the last several days of questions!)

Tell us about any nicknames you've had over the years, and the stories behind those names.

(It's OK, you can tell us. You're among friends, Stinky.)

1614372651935.png

Well, the OBVIOUS one was The Witch in high school. lol

Later, and I hesitate to even tell this one, I worked with an assistant who was about 4'10" maybe and I was 5'8" at the time. (I shrank to 5'7" after the back surgery!) We somehow ended up with the names Xena and Gabrielle from the old TV show. You needed something done, you called the Warrior Princess here. We got the job done. We did everything as a team, including evacuating a HUGE aviary on rollers down a ramp and into the safe space during a tornado after we had rolled out 15 bedbounds in those beds to the same safe space.

I don't remember any nicknames through high school, but picked up a couple in college because of my appearance. Some called me Flirpo, after the wild looking professional wrestler of the day. Others called me Sweetums, after the Muppet of the same name.

EN2zT0qX0AA6uR2-e1578591722272.jpg sweetums.jpg

At work is where I picked up the nickname Duke, after Hunter S Thompson's alter ego. It came about after I impersonated a full colonel, using the name Col Duke, to light a fire under an NCO who didn't think he had to listen to a young civilian engineer. Col Duke only made a couple other appearances over the next 30+ years, but he was a crowd pleaser.

Doctor-GONZO-345x483.jpg

I don't remember any nicknames through high school, but picked up a couple in college because of my appearance. Some called me Flirpo, after the wild looking professional wrestler of the day. Others called me Sweetums, after the Muppet of the same name.

View attachment 30683View attachment 30684

At work is where I picked the nickname Duke, after Hunter S Thompson's alter ego. It came about after I impersonated a full colonel, using the name Col Duke, to light a fire under an NCO who didn't think he had to listen to a young civilian engineer. Col Duke only made a couple other appearances over the next 30+ years, but he was a crowd pleaser.

View attachment 30685
I wondered if it was a Hunter S. Thompson reference!

View attachment 30683View attachment 30684

At work is where I picked up the nickname Duke, after Hunter S Thompson's alter ego. It came about after I impersonated a full colonel, using the name Col Duke, to light a fire under an NCO who didn't think he had to listen to a young civilian engineer. Col Duke only made a couple other appearances over the next 30+ years, but he was a crowd pleaser.

View attachment 30685
I thought that was your real name

In secondary (high) school (age 11-16/18). To start with there were houses, Saxons, Danes, Normans and another one and each school year was divided into four form groups each assigned to one and we'd compete on sports day or drama or anything else. I was a Saxon. We sucked. But the school was growing, so from my second year a new house was created: Romans! The Romans were selected from among the existing groups and reassigned... including me! I was now Pax Romana.
For my school year at least, the new Romans seemed to be the result of some teachers getting drunk and just picking every weirdo, clown and oddball and just deciding it would be a laugh to just shove us all together. It turns out that we got along pretty well and even ended up with our own distinct slang (like A Clockwork Orange, only ours) and we had nicknames, (though those were awarded and a few never got one) like Pax, Mebbel the Rebel, 84, Onion, Girders (pronounced Girrdeuuoos' when mocking him), Apple Feet (he complained and it was changed to 'Chub'. He was thrilled), Chair Girl and responsible for most of these was Kinky Wasinky.
So one day I got one too. I complained that it was totally inaccurate because I cared about people and was told that it was because I was crazy and reckless. I explained that it didn't mean that and got the sage response, 'we make words mean what we want them to mean!' and also, 'You don't get to choose your nickname! It could be worse! I mean, I'm Goose!' (after the friend in Top Gun who is obviously going to die). I couldn't argue and wasn't the worst... though not as good as Kinky Wasinky.

So in secondary school I was....

'Psycho'.

Last edited: