Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Talk Radio Can - And Should Be - Our Escape
Tim Weisberg
Host, Midnight Society

f127c766-b096-4a15-8e61-82e514470b94.jpg

Talk radio is a vital sounding board for the discussion and discourse of the important issues of the day. But sometimes, it’s also an escape from all of that, too. When this COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic was in its early stages, I was hosting a different talk show than the one I am now. There were occasional emails and social media comments asking why we weren’t covering the crisis, and why we weren’t bringing on expert after expert to talk about it.

Our response, simply, was that it’s everywhere right now, and a majority of the audience was asking instead of us to be a brief respite for a few hours a night. A chance to turn off the concern, the anxiety and the fear and instead focus on something that feels less like impending doom and more like the expansion of consciousness. There’s a reason why, throughout history, interest in the paranormal has exploded during times of great strife.

For four years, I hosted a weekly talk show dealing with all of the topics of the day. My final year of hosting that program happened to be 2016, and led right through the 2016 presidential election and beyond. During that four-year run, I always made it a point to try to remain politically neutral in the discussion; since it was on Saturday morning, this was the only chance some callers had all week to call in to talk radio, and I didn’t want to get in the way of them giving their thoughts and opinions by forcing my own down their throats. And with that approach, I drew a fair balance of callers on a program airing on a station that is mostly known for conservative talk.

That also led the conservative callers to attack me for allowing the other side to have a say in the debate, with one caller even going so far as to say any thoughts and opinions I would have of a political nature are invalid because I spend my spare time researching the paranormal. I still fail to see the validity of that argument. In January of 2017, I made the jump to the station’s newsroom as an anchor and reporter, effectively ending my time as an issues-driven talk show host, but I’m glad I could end after an election that demonstrated just how important talk radio can be to our community.

But that was during a presidential race; it’s easy to find experts and commentators to jump into the conversation, to educate the audience and give them a better perspective of what’s going on. That’s not so easy to do with something like the coronavirus, which has opened itself up to a whole slate of conspiracy theorists and virus deniers that are doing more harm than good by perpetuating unfounded claims.

One of the oft-repeated phrases from those asking us to cover the pandemic is “Art Bell would have been all over this,” and that’s very true. Art Bell reached millions every night at the peak of his radio reach, and was the trusted voice in the night. I don’t, and never will, carry that kind of cache. Nobody will. There’s too much distrust in the media, any media. There’s too much of proliferation of all the so-called experts all over television and radio, espousing the same information from one outlet to another.

In short, you hear about the virus all day. I want the Midnight Society program to be your chance to escape all that.

Come join us for three hours each night on Midnight.FM, beginning at 10 p.m. Eastern, as we talk about so many other things that are interesting, entertaining, and hopefully a bit enlightening. After hearing about COVID-19 for hours on end, and living in the reality of a coronavirus world all day, it actually makes it easier to sleep after listening to us talk about ghosts, aliens and demons.

One of the oft-repeated phrases from those asking us to cover the pandemic is “Art Bell would have been all over this,” and that’s very true. Art Bell reached millions every night at the peak of his radio reach, and was the trusted voice in the night. I don’t, and never will, carry that kind of cache. Nobody will. There’s too much distrust in the media, any media. There’s too much of proliferation of all the so-called experts all over television and radio, espousing the same information from one outlet to another.

In short, you hear about the virus all day. I want the Midnight Society program to be your chance to escape all that.

Come join us for three hours each night on Midnight.FM, beginning at 10 p.m. Eastern, as we talk about so many other things that are interesting, entertaining, and hopefully a bit enlightening. After hearing about COVID-19 for hours on end, and living in the reality of a coronavirus world all day, it actually makes it easier to sleep after listening to us talk about ghosts, aliens and demons.

cdf8c631-7d6d-4936-a995-69f295a23909.png