New home, what's going on here?

Mic

Reaction score
My wife and I recently bought a house, a fixer upper for sure but at the price we couldn't really say no. It's a 2 bedroom house where our room and our 2 sons (18 and 8 months) room separated by a hallway with a bathroom in the middle. Everything seems normal, or did, until we got home tonight. Ever since we moved in here our boys have had trouble sleeping in their room, they never had at our apartment beforehand. We figured it was just a new enviroment that they would get use to. Our 18 month old has been getting up in the middle of the night and coming into the bedroom and crawling into bed with us for the last 2 weeks and when we put him in the room and close the door sometimes he screams bloody murder. Last week at 4:45am I was watching tv on our couch (I work nights) our tv was also on in our bedroom but only on the home screen when it suddenly turned to Netflix. I didn't think too much of it because I'm a skeptic myself, but then we came home tonight. I put the boys down for the nap they missed today and as usual the oldest let out his blood curdling scream. Finally when I'd had enough I went in turned the light on and asked him what was wrong and he gave me the weirdest look, a terrified look as his eyes moved to look as if something were standing next to me. That's when shit went south. I dont know how to explain this, in going to pist a picture but when I closed the door, that wasnt like this when we moved in, I can't explain the back of this door. If it had been my oldest he would have had paint chips under his fingers, we never lock the door for him to need to be there doing that. 2. Some of these marks are out of reach of what he'd be able to do. Can anybody make sense of this? Please help.

Attachments

• 15469936239192057801506.jpg
    15469936239192057801506.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 176
My wife and I recently bought a house, a fixer upper for sure but at the price we couldn't really say no. It's a 2 bedroom house where our room and our 2 sons (18 and 8 months) room separated by a hallway with a bathroom in the middle. Everything seems normal, or did, until we got home tonight. Ever since we moved in here our boys have had trouble sleeping in their room, they never had at our apartment beforehand. We figured it was just a new enviroment that they would get use to. Our 18 month old has been getting up in the middle of the night and coming into the bedroom and crawling into bed with us for the last 2 weeks and when we put him in the room and close the door sometimes he screams bloody murder. Last week at 4:45am I was watching tv on our couch (I work nights) our tv was also on in our bedroom but only on the home screen when it suddenly turned to Netflix. I didn't think too much of it because I'm a skeptic myself, but then we came home tonight. I put the boys down for the nap they missed today and as usual the oldest let out his blood curdling scream. Finally when I'd had enough I went in turned the light on and asked him what was wrong and he gave me the weirdest look, a terrified look as his eyes moved to look as if something were standing next to me. That's when shit went south. I dont know how to explain this, in going to pist a picture but when I closed the door, that wasnt like this when we moved in, I can't explain the back of this door. If it had been my oldest he would have had paint chips under his fingers, we never lock the door for him to need to be there doing that. 2. Some of these marks are out of reach of what he'd be able to do. Can anybody make sense of this? Please help.
Hi Mic, and welcome to the forum.

When we are dealing with kids this young, it's very hard to discern what's actually happening. I need to ask a few questions first before even hazarding a guess. Is this home an old home currently being remodeled by you? Have you removed any items that were in the home, torn down any walls, etc? Does the house have any history of activity? (If not sure, ask a neighbor. They normally have some clues if it has had previous activity.) Does it sit on ground that was previously a cemetery or battleground? Native American land? Any electrical lines close by the house? Have either you or your spouse had any previous interactions with the paranormal or occult?

And that's kind of just for starters. Finding out what it is means ruling out what it isn't.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Saw that picture and at first I was like “hope that’s just termites” zoom in, “NOPE REAL SCRATCHES!!!!”
I don’t know how a kid could do that. I’m fairly well built at 180LB and I highly doubt I could do that myself to be honest.

Welcome to the forum, Mic. Hope we can help you get to the bottom of this

The next thing I would ask is there any chance an animal of any kind could have gotten into the room? Such as a raccoon? I've seen coons claw at a doorknob and door to get in before. And they are very good at hiding out when they don't want to be seen in rafters, attics, even in closets. I've seen them set up shop in the walls of a home, too.

Not ruling out paranormal...trying to rule out every other cause first.

Thank you and yes we are currently remodeling. I haven't gotten to the point of tearing anything down, mostly just cosmetic (paunting, sanding, stain etc) we do have a cat and a dog plus 2 that we are currently sitting but nine of them go into that room, mainly because having 2 boys that young they don't stand a chance lol. The 2 cats prefer to he outside so I would expect to find them clawing at the doors they come in and out of but they don't even scratch when they want in or out they just sit there. Our dog is too lazy to exert that much energy that would be necessary. It is an older house, I'm just not sure exactly how old. I've messaged the people we're buying it from to ask if they'd ever experienced anuthing odd while they were living here but havent heard back yet .

Thank you and yes we are currently remodeling. I haven't gotten to the point of tearing anything down, mostly just cosmetic (paunting, sanding, stain etc) we do have a cat and a dog plus 2 that we are currently sitting but nine of them go into that room, mainly because having 2 boys that young they don't stand a chance lol. The 2 cats prefer to he outside so I would expect to find them clawing at the doors they come in and out of but they don't even scratch when they want in or out they just sit there. Our dog is too lazy to exert that much energy that would be necessary. It is an older house, I'm just not sure exactly how old. I've messaged the people we're buying it from to ask if they'd ever experienced anuthing odd while they were living here but havent heard back yet .
Some who sell a home won't tell you if it has activity. Even after the fact.

Well, those are claw marks from the looks of it but I honestly have never seen an entitty do that much at one time. That takes a lot of energy. Meanwhile, while you wait to see if anything else occurs, let me say allow the kids to come to your room if they are fightened. I had a child who pretty much slept on the floor next to me in a small bed I made there for him for 2 years when we had a problem in a home that wouldn't be banished. Next, you will see a St. Michael's Prayer here on this thread in the sticky area. Don't be afraid to use that to set up a bit of protection in your home. I would also encourage you to state out loud to anything there that this is your home, not theirs, and there are rules. They touch no one, scare no one, and stop damaging your property. Reclaim the space as your own.

Do you have a religious preference, Mic? Because a house blessing might be a very good thing right about now. I'm holding off on telling you to sage the home as it might rile it up more. Try this first, and watch for anything else out of line. Skeptic or not, things are out there bigger than we are, Mic. I'm 65. I've seen a lot. Been in this field since I was 5 and I know it to be so. Sometimes there are simple explanations, such as high EMF, residual hauntings, etc. But with marks like that, it looks like it could be more. Try my suggestions, and let us know how things are going for you. Truly, I would bring in someone to bless the house ASAP that is of your faith or choice.

We're here for you, so keep us posted and we'll help any way we can.

Hi Mic and welcome to the forum. My first thought was an animal. I was going to ask if you had a dog. Animals will react in certain situations. I would not disregard it was one of your pets that got trapped in there. I am not making light of the situation but on the face of what you’ve told us there are plausible reasons that could account for the activity. It is not uncommon for a child that age to cry to sleep with their parents.

Saying all that I’m not discounting something is going on. If you think in your gut it is paranormal treat it so. I would get the kids out of that room ASAP. If something unseen made those scratches you don’t want your kids in there. Follow through with Debi’s recommendations. Do keep us posted and I hope you get to the bottom of this.

Those are quite the scratches. Any tools (ie toys) he could've possibly used just hypothetically? Maybe perform a paint test as well to make sure that if there was lead paint it's sealed again. Usually when there is lead paint they just paint over it. So the older paint would be under they paint. I'm sure you already know this but I have a feeling you should test the paint... I can see at least 2 shades of paint

Physical marks on the body?

Last edited:
I see that the scratches are low on the door, as if a whatever did it was a short person or an animal that had to stand up on it's hind legs. Still not ruling anything in or out, yet.