New Energy source?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
MIT Engineers Have Built a Device That Pulls Electricity Out of Thin Air

MIT Engineers Have Built a Device That Pulls Electricity Out of Thin Air
It doesn't need sunlight, batteries, or wind.

DAVID NIELD
27 FEB 2018
Temperature changes large and small are happening around us all the time, and scientists have come up with a machine that can convert those fluctuations into electricity, potentially powering sensors and communication devices almost out of thin air.

The energy harvesting is done through what's called a thermal resonator: a device that captures heat on one side and radiates it over to the other. As both sides try and reach equilibrium, the energy can be caught using the process of thermoelectrics.

According to the team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the new thermal resonator could keep remote sensors or any off-grid devices powered up for years, just by using temperature swings – like the natural ones between night and day, for instance.

Full story at site

OK, engineering type peoples...what do you think?

It’s doable. Basically you’re pulling electrons from the air, into a circuit that then grounds it. You basically have an antenna with a large surface area, and the whole thing is insulated so the only way the electrons can ground is through a specialized circuit.

The output is a couple volts at a very low wattage. You could power your tv remote with it.

Reactions: Debi
I like that they are looking at alternative power technologies. They tested it with a 10 degree difference in day night temperature. What if they go to the desert where the temps during the day change much more. Yeah, not much energy generated so far, but it's a start.

Reactions: Lynne

not an engineer...but I got this.

corner.jpg

Last edited:
I’m glad they’re looking for alternative energy. Josh Warren recommends solar powered generators. I think they’re a great idea.

Reactions: Debi