Neighbor Stories

Well, guess I'll tell ya about living next to my mother in law, who happened to not only be meaner than a rattle snake she was obviously in need of medication. She asked us to move in next door after her husband passed ...which is a long walk down the driveway but turned out to be waaay too close....to help take care of her.

When she was mad, which was often, she'd shoot a shotgun towards the house. We erected a thick sturdy fence in self defense. She got mad about that and would use her air horn to annoy us. She'd just walk outside and blare the thing for no reason. She didn't like my trees so she came down when I was away and poured salt on them to kill them. One day she didn't like my herb garden and game down on her John Deere tractor and mowed them all down.

It was a thrill a minute. That gives you an idea of how life went for about 10 years.

Edit: For the record, I still took care of her and even rehabbed her after a stroke. Family...whatcha gonna do?

Last edited:
Well, guess I'll tell ya about living next to my mother in law, who happened to not only be meaner than a rattle snake she was obviously in need of medication. She asked us to move in next door after her husband passed ...which is a long walk down the driveway but turned out to be waaay too close....to help take care of her.

When she was mad, which was often, she'd shoot a shotgun towards the house. We erected a thick sturdy fence in self defense. She got mad about that and would use her air horn to annoy us. She'd just walk outside and blare the thing for no reason. She didn't like my trees so she came down when I was away and poured salt on them to kill them. One day she didn't like my herb garden and game down on her John Deere tractor and mowed them all down.

It was a thrill a minute. That gives you an idea of how life went for about 10 years.

Edit: For the record, I still took care of her and even rehabbed her after a stroke. Family...whatcha gonna do?
She sounded worse than my great grandmother.

She sounded worse than my great grandmother.
My paternal grandmother dabbled in the dark arts, and we were terrified of her. Add to that the fact that she hated my mother, so us kids had to watch them feud, with my father caught in between. But she had good points; she made grape jelly, and she sewed beautiful dresses for the girls in the family.

Oz, have you told us about your great grandmother?

Reactions: ozentity
My paternal grandmother dabbled in the dark arts, and we were terrified of her. Add to that the fact that she hated my mother, so us kids had to watch them feud, with my father caught in between. But she had good points; she made grape jelly, and she sewed beautiful dresses for the girls in the family.

Oz, have you told us about your great grandmother?
I did a while back on relatives or some thread like that. One thing was she chopped a door down with an axe trying to kill her daughter in law which was my gran I was close to. Strangely her son, my grandad was the kindest, most gentle guy with the family.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I did a while back on relatives or some thread like that. One thing was she chopped a door down with an axe trying to kill her daughter in law which was my gran I was close to. Strangely her son, my grandad was the kindest, most gentle guy with the family.
Ah, I do recall you sharing that. Relatives... :confused:

She shoulds like your sister in law too!

Reactions: garnetsilver