Need advice on having "the talk" with my daughter

However my daughter is just going off what she sees on the internet, mostly YouTube. I'm sure that what she's learning isn't correct, but I don't know enough to make those corrections.
I wouldn’t trust youtube at all. If she looks long enough she’ll run into YouTubers like E.A. Koetting or Orlee Stewart, who are basically professional black magicians. I don’t think you or anyone here wants your kid to run into that kind of info.

Thank you again. I'll definitely be reading up more on this so I can get a better understanding and help her.
Just being engaged with her will be a big boon to both of you. It speaks well of you that you want to help her find her way rather than just making fiat declarations and ignoring her. Good parenting, my friend.

Welcome to the PFN Stevedog, It looks like other's have already given you lots of good advice, I will just 2nd some of what the others mentioned, definitely try to keep her away from the internet and spell books, from reading your post I get the feeling that if you are willing to talk with her about your own personal events and letting her know your open to discussing these things & want them to be handled in a safe & responsible way I'm sure she will be more open to learning with you there to help steer her in the right directions. should she be interested in following Wiccan or any other Spiritual Path

Light & Love

I agree with Tia, she is too young to be doing any “practicing”. Having discussions about her intentions and reasons for choosing this path will help bring understanding to you both. Usually at this age it’s about image with friends and being cool. Religion is usually not something a young teen will willingly be interested in if the family is not religious. I’m guessing it’s the lure of what practicing can bring her not the spirituality behind it. Teach her that the spiritual part is what comes first so that whatever path she chooses it will be practiced with the right intention. If not she will be opening doors to problems.

I would agree 100% of what others have said. 13 is way to young to wanna be doing this. And YouTube and others the one thing ghost hunters ect don't tell are the consequences that might happen from going to search for stuff that you should really not be. As a sensitive I can feel the different energies in the air I can tell if it's good or bad my daughter has the gift and I really think you should try to get her into something else. Native American culture is quite awesome Cherokee in my family. But yes she is way too young to experiment to do spells to do anything like that because I've known people that have done it and it has come back on them tenfold.

Reactions: Donna K.
The Wiccan way is a good thing. The Goddess offers you another view that I have never really found to be disturbing to my more Jesuit beliefs. A real god as I see them isn't a human so the issue of their sex is a non-issue. If your little girl is interested in witchy things then steer her to the light and the Wicca are light witches in both their beliefs and actions. the Wicca is loosely based on the Strega Italian beliefs and all my experiences with them have been positive as well. I was involved with a massively strong Strega witch for a lot of years. I learned a lot from her and like to think that she learned some things from me.

I am a witch and while I disagree that 13 "is too young" to be looking into any sort of religion, I do agree wholeheartedly that YouTube is not the place to learn about witchcraft. Different people have different opinions on who is right in what they teach through books, but just tossing some spell books at your daughter is the wrong way to do things. We're not all about lighting black candles and playing around with a Ouija board. Hell, I've never tried conjuring anything because I am not that curious, nor would I have any use for conjuring anything. But YouTube makes all that nonsense seem cool.

For basics, she can learn about the Wheel of the Year and make things (a.k.a. arts n crafts) to symbolize each Sabbat. She can spend time outside, feet wonderfully bare, being one with Nature. Teaching her what you know about Native American culture is part of that, too. Witchcraft isn't just one thing.

I had that talk with my daughter before that, and it was fairly level and adult in scope. I told her explicitly that there was never to be a Ouija board in the house, and she was not to engage in any type of conjuration, summoning, or communication inside. We have sufficient land that if she wanted to experiment, she could do so outside. From there it was an easy transition to my own experiences and experimentation when I was young, and she both grasped it immediately and subsequently had no issues abiding by the rules, since I explained to her the possible consequences and how it could affect the rest of us in the house.

Thank You.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Yes, caution is key and so is learning before doing. I agree with most on here. Plenty to learn about BEFORE even reading a spell book but we all know that some kids are so eager to drive a car they just jump in and off they go - usually with the same consequences.

Is there a witches outing planned or have we already had it?

Reactions: Charleh