Need advice on having "the talk" with my daughter

Stevedog

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
A few years ago my daughter took an interest in the supernatural. Which was fine because I did too at that age. However she recently began to become interested in witchcraft, my wife (who doesn't really believe in any of this) even bought her a couple of spell books. This I'm not okay with, especially since my daughter just turned 13 and that's the age where I really began to encounter supernatural beings first hand. My fear is that, if she inherited my sensitivities to these phenomena then by going too far down this path she could unintentionally invite something into the house.

I don't want to simply say "You can't do this anymore" because she's a 13 year old girl and therefore a text book perfect case for the reverse psychology of "Dad just doesn't understand so this is now the most important thing in my life", as this could lead her to try and prove there's nothing for me to worry about.

Since I'm sure she will lose interest overtime I definitely don't want to push her to hard. On the other hand I don't want to walk into her room one day and find her laying tarot cards on her Ouija board surrounded by black candles.

A few years ago my daughter took an interest in the supernatural. Which was fine because I did too at that age. However she recently began to become interested in witchcraft, my wife (who doesn't really believe in any of this) even bought her a couple of spell books. This I'm not okay with, especially since my daughter just turned 13 and that's the age where I really began to encounter supernatural beings first hand. My fear is that, if she inherited my sensitivities to these phenomena then by going too far down this path she could unintentionally invite something into the house.

I don't want to simply say "You can't do this anymore" because she's a 13 year old girl and therefore a text book perfect case for the reverse psychology of "Dad just doesn't understand so this is now the most important thing in my life", as this could lead her to try and prove there's nothing for me to worry about.

Since I'm sure she will lose interest overtime I definitely don't want to push her to hard. On the other hand I don't want to walk into her room one day and find her laying tarot cards on her Ouija board surrounded by black candles.
I had that talk with my daughter before that, and it was fairly level and adult in scope. I told her explicitly that there was never to be a Ouija board in the house, and she was not to engage in any type of conjuration, summoning, or communication inside. We have sufficient land that if she wanted to experiment, she could do so outside. From there it was an easy transition to my own experiences and experimentation when I was young, and she both grasped it immediately and subsequently had no issues abiding by the rules, since I explained to her the possible consequences and how it could affect the rest of us in the house.

Stevedog, I'm a Wiccan. And witchcraft is a practice, while Wicca is a religion. First,I would actually agree with you about the spell books. Thirteen is waaay too young to arm her with spells she has no chance of understanding. Spells are based on intentions, just as are prayers, and she could actually cause some harm with them if she doesn't know all the basics. And there are a lot of basics!

I would give her a starter book on Wicca so she can get an understanding of what it actually is! Scott Cunningham has an old book out there that I recommend for anyone new to the path. There are many paths in Wicca, just as there are denominations in the Christian faith so it's not one size fits all out there.

Thirteen is too young to get a true understanding of the path without some guidance. If you have other questions, let me know.

I had that talk with my daughter before that, and it was fairly level and adult in scope. I told her explicitly that there was never to be a Ouija board in the house, and she was not to engage in any type of conjuration, summoning, or communication inside. We have sufficient land that if she wanted to experiment, she could do so outside. From there it was an easy transition to my own experiences and experimentation when I was young, and she both grasped it immediately and subsequently had no issues abiding by the rules, since I explained to her the possible consequences and how it could affect the rest of us in the house.
She also had a father familiar with the concept. I think that makes a HUGE difference in how you approach this at age 13.

hi stevedog....you say you fear she may have inherited your sensitivities. and that you started having exp. at this age also.....can you explain what type "sensitivities" you are referring to....if she has inherited any "gifts", then there is a chance they will continue to get stronger. therefore her losing interest may not happen as you hope...it is probably a good idea to try to explain and guide her through this and see what direction it takes with proper guidance.

Thank you Debi.

My family is a healthy mix of Mexican and Native American Indian, so I grew up with a lot of Christian philosophy mixed with holistic and native customs. My mother keeps Holy Water, Tylenol and herb infused essential oils in her medicine cabinet. My great grandmother had paintings of Jesus and the Last Supper in her house, but she would also do things like rain dances and had my grandmother go through some sort of native "womanhood" ritual when she was a pre-teen. So I'm rather open to other beliefs.

I once made it a point to look at different religions and beliefs in order to have a basic rudimentary knowledge base if someone said they were a Druid, Taoist, Wicca, Wahabi, ect. But as the saying goes, I know just enough to be dangerous.

However my daughter is just going off what she sees on the internet, mostly YouTube. I'm sure that what she's learning isn't correct, but I don't know enough to make those corrections. She once made a comment about how she couldn't trust someone who prayed and went to church because she's a witch and those people burn witches. My wife laughed it off but it had me concerned.

Thank you Debi.

My family is a healthy mix of Mexican and Native American Indian, so I grew up with a lot of Christian philosophy mixed with holistic and native customs. My mother keeps Holy Water, Tylenol and herb infused essential oils in her medicine cabinet. My great grandmother had paintings of Jesus and the Last Supper in her house, but she would also do things like rain dances and had my grandmother go through some sort of native "womanhood" ritual when she was a pre-teen. So I'm rather open to other beliefs.

I once made it a point to look at different religions and beliefs in order to have a basic rudimentary knowledge base if someone said they were a Druid, Taoist, Wicca, Wahabi, ect. But as the saying goes, I know just enough to be dangerous.

However my daughter is just going off what she sees on the internet, mostly YouTube. I'm sure that what she's learning isn't correct, but I don't know enough to make those corrections. She once made a comment about how she couldn't trust someone who prayed and went to church because she's a witch and those people burn witches. My wife laughed it off but it had me concerned.
I pray to the same "God" the Christians do, being the type of Wiccan I am. From that last statement, she is surely on the wrong path there. Tolerence and respect of all religions is part of the way. I like all of what you say your family has done...the combination of the olde ways with the Christianity is much my path as well. There are MANY forms of Wicca, and once again, Witchcraft is a practice, not a religion. Anyone of any religion can use spells and practice the craft. You might also tell your daughter that the correct translation of "Do not suffer a witch to live" is actually "Do not suffer a poisoner (murderer) to live".

If she's going only online to learn, she will have a very muddled and wrong understanding of the craft itself. She needs to study the Rede and the three fold law immediately. She might be able to repeat them, but does she understand them?

I am attaching a FB link here for her. Circle Sanctuary is run by Selena Fox, a very esteemed true Wiccan and witch, who is also involved in the interfaith work that is done. I believe they still offer an online magazine as well. She is of a different tradition than myself, but she is a very wise woman and one of the Light.

Circle Sanctuary

hi stevedog....you say you fear she may have inherited your sensitivities. and that you started having exp. at this age also.....can you explain what type "sensitivities" you are referring to....if she has inherited any "gifts", then there is a chance they will continue to get stronger. therefore her losing interest may not happen as you hope...it is probably a good idea to try to explain and guide her through this and see what direction it takes with proper guidance.

I've had numerous run ins with paranormal entities. It almost feels like I attract them at times. I've seen, heard and been touched by things I can't really explain. I also tend to know things before they happen. Sometimes it's an anxious feeling other times it's a voice in my head telling me to do or not do something. On rare occasions it's an actual voice I hear,like someone whispering in my ear. I don't know where it comes from but it's never been wrong and ignoring it always leads to bad things.

I also have dreams about things that haven't happened yet. Sometimes it's innocuous stuff like random conversations or a dream about finding list keys. Other times it's a dream about a car accident or a friend getting hurt and based in my dream I'm able to stop it from happening. My friends just assume I have fast reflexes.

Once I dreamed about a young woman being murdered, in my dream I saw her being attacked but she was also standing next to me and she spoke to me. At first I just dismissed it as a nightmare. A week later I went out of town to visit some friends and while there I saw a missing person poster for the young woman from my dream. My friends said she was a local college student who would probably show up again soon. I said No, that she was dead and I described what I saw in my dream. I was told "That's not funny", but then a few weeks later one if them called me and said they caught the killers, who confessed the whole thing and took police to the body. Everything from the murder weapon, location and how I described the killers was exactly accurate.

I pray to the same "God" the Christians do, being the type of Wiccan I am. From that last statement, she is surely on the wrong path there. Tolerence and respect of all religions is part of the way. I like all of what you say your family has done...the combination of the olde ways with the Christianity is much my path as well. There are MANY forms of Wicca, and once again, Witchcraft is a practice, not a religion. Anyone of any religion can use spells and practice the craft. You might also tell your daughter that the correct translation of "Do not suffer a witch to live" is actually "Do not suffer a poisoner (murderer) to live".

If she's going only online to learn, she will have a very muddled and wrong understanding of the craft itself. She needs to study the Rede and the three fold law immediately. She might be able to repeat them, but does she understand them?

I am attaching a FB link here for her. Circle Sanctuary is run by Selena Fox, a very esteemed true Wiccan and witch, who is also involved in the interfaith work that is done. I believe they still offer an online magazine as well. She is of a different tradition than myself, but she is a very wise woman and one of the Light.

Circle Sanctuary

Thank you again. I'll definitely be reading up more on this so I can get a better understanding and help her.

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi