Near miss with Jet

Very poorly written story, greatly lacking in details. Airspeed, altitude, and direction of flight of the a/c at the time? Local time when the incident occurred? Wind direction/speed at altitude? Radar sightings of anything near the a/c?

Closure rate, even with the aircraft flying less than 200 mph on landing approach, with a small, slowly moving object like a lantern or hobbyist drone, would give the pilots only a brief glimpse of something approaching above them on an angle as described.

Reactions: Walking Goose
Very poorly written story, greatly lacking in details. Airspeed, altitude, and direction of flight of the a/c at the time? Local time when the incident occurred? Wind direction/speed at altitude? Radar sightings of anything near the a/c?

Closure rate, even with the aircraft flying less than 200 mph on landing approach, with a small, slowly moving object like a lantern or hobbyist drone, would give the pilots only a brief glimpse of something approaching above them on an angle as described.
I give ya what I got...lol I figure you may do the digging if it sounds interesting. ;)

Reactions: Walking Goose
I give ya what I got...lol I figure you may do the digging if it sounds interesting. ;)
Those near-miss reports are probably public domain documents, I'll have to look on the UK's CAA website to see if they are available.

I think the article ended with the conclusion that it was a drone which the pilots felt it wasnt. Of course the pilots wouldnt know what are seeing, they need a desk bound propaganda minister to help them decide. I have been watching too many ww2 shows lately I think

The actual near miss report is apparently not available on line, but there is a summary page of the incident. The aircraft was only at about 1800 ft at the time, so its airspeed would have been somewhere around 150-200 mph. The incident occurred at approximately 10:15pm local time. I have requested a copy of the actual report, but the form letter response email from the Air Proximity Board said it could take up to twenty days to respond to my request.

Pilots are human, their observations and recollections of stressful events/occurrences are as much subject to error as anyone else. I've had pilots tell me with total confidence their recollections of events leading up to and during mishaps, only to have those recollections proven to be in error by physical evidence and/or flight recorder data. On a few occasions, I've had pilots refuse to admit they were wrong despite physical evidence/flight recorder data that proves otherwise.

Last edited: