Neanderthal DNA

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
A good read! I was intrigued to find that I have 2% Neanderthal ancestry; not sure if that is good or bad, lol. Does anyone else?

Reactions: Paulm
A good read! I was intrigued to find that I have 2% Neanderthal ancestry; not sure if that is good or bad, lol. Does anyone else?
It just means you have a lot of euopean or british isles ancestors. I have a high percentage too. Can't remember what it is but on 23 and Me it says I have more neanderthal DNA than 90 % of the people using that DNA service.

Since there are so many of us that have neanderthal DNA I don't see how anyone could claim they have gone extinct, they were just absorbed.

Reactions: garnetsilver
It's interesting to note how the neanderthals were likely a primary contributing factor to our brain's absurd growth spurt in size... And oddly enough, they were also (or rather, the cross-species mating with them) responsible for primarily the male's phenotypical HEIGHT growth spurt - hence the towering stature of the Indo-Europeans. That dang hybrid vigor, I tell you what.

I don't think you need to worry about 2 percent; however, the article did say science is concerned about medical issues for people with that DNA. We are all just products of those who have gone before us, its mind boggling to think of who our ancestors may have been.

I don't think you need to worry about 2 percent; however, the article did say science is concerned about medical issues for people with that DNA. We are all just products of those who have gone before us, its mind boggling to think of who our ancestors may have been.
I have some medical issues which I wonder about. And yes, it is mind boggling!

Reactions: Lynne
I have some medical issues which I wonder about. And yes, it is mind boggling!
I wonder if DNA therapy could be helpful for you, I've heard there is a lot of headway in that direction. Medicine has made some big strides lately. I have a friend with a brain tumor (cancer), that was supposed to have died 8 years ago and is still going strong because of advance treatments.

• Wow
I wonder if DNA therapy could be helpful for you, I've heard there is a lot of headway in that direction. Medicine has made some big strides lately. I have a friend with a brain tumor (cancer), that was supposed to have died 8 years ago and is still going strong because of advance treatments.
Wow, that is awesome! I will do a little research (my favorite thing to do.)

I suspect that the neanderthal was more absorbed into the Homosapien genome than just exterminated. Sort of like the native Americans. My wife and I both have native American genes in our line. There may not be as many pure-blooded Native Americans but there are millions of us carrying their genes. Eventually like the Neanderthal, they will be absorbed and just a part of the American human genome. I don't think that they were really a different species as they are portrayed. They were in our line and just as a wolf and a dog can breed so could Sapiens mate with a Neanderthal.

I suspect that when they first mixed with the sapiens the kids they spawned were a marked improvement in some areas over both sides of their previous ancestors. This is common when you cross-breed close genetic relatives in animals. A mule is a good example.