Navy Pilot report

I can see that happening on a religion forum. Also, I have found that people who know, or think they know philosophy, can be rather pompous when they debate. They love to argue, and they often lack the social skills to carry on a civil debate and can get personal.

so true on the philosophy point.... I studied art with philosophy and humanities on the side, and youre right philosophy majors are the worst to try and have a conversation with without it turning into an argument. of course later in life while doing business and sales seminars I realized just how much these teachings pull from philosophy and psyche classes and it dawned on me why they are like that..... esp. when learning about anchoring techniques (something used in hypnosis teachings if any of you are familiar with that type stuff) and all the small subliminal crap they teach, lol.... (example.... you should always have your desk and chair higher than the chairs in front of you to subconsciously make the person your selling to or doing business with feel inferior., them sitting lower than you gives that impression without them realizing it). anyways a lot of those type teachings also teach dominate behaviorism.
at least by being exposed to some of these things I can usually recognize when someone is attempting to pull me into a debate (in real life or even in forums, by using anchoring methods or other ways such as key words, and I will usually avoid the conversation altogether or get out as soon as I see what theyre doing.

Reactions: Seahunter
philosophy majors are the worst to try and have a conversation with without it turning into an argument
I roomed with a philosophy major for three months. I recall seeing some of the qualities that you describe. I liked the guy, but at times it was tough to carry on a normal conversation.

Reactions: Paulm
I roomed with a philosophy major for three months. I recall seeing some of the qualities that you describe. I liked the guy, but at times it was tough to carry on a normal conversation.
I have a new production manager at my job place, talking to him is like he wants to make me think any decision he makes is far to difficult for me to comprehend when in fact he is over his head and he is tap dancing, sacrificing others in the process of finding an easier way to go under budget to ensure he gets a bonus. Sometimes we put the badge on others and they feel the need to uphold it instead of admitting they have no control.

Then it will be quite a challenge to you, Armand, to offer suggestions to him without he feeling threatened. His success is your success. I was always told part of my job is to make my boss look good.

so true on the philosophy point.... I studied art with philosophy and humanities on the side, and youre right philosophy majors are the worst to try and have a conversation with without it turning into an argument. of course later in life while doing business and sales seminars I realized just how much these teachings pull from philosophy and psyche classes and it dawned on me why they are like that..... esp. when learning about anchoring techniques (something used in hypnosis teachings if any of you are familiar with that type stuff) and all the small subliminal crap they teach, lol.... (example.... you should always have your desk and chair higher than the chairs in front of you to subconsciously make the person your selling to or doing business with feel inferior., them sitting lower than you gives that impression without them realizing it). anyways a lot of those type teachings also teach dominate behaviorism.
at least by being exposed to some of these things I can usually recognize when someone is attempting to pull me into a debate (in real life or even in forums, by using anchoring methods or other ways such as key words, and I will usually avoid the conversation altogether or get out as soon as I see what theyre doing.
Yes, and the other type of person that is tough to deal with is the strong type A personality. The competitive thing gets old real fast, and they always have to be right, etc. I'm generalizing here, no personal attacks on anyone here, but I find it a lot with those that are really into sports. Everything turns into a competitive argument that they have to dominate. It's not everyone that is like that, but I've been alive long enough to have seen a pattern.

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm