Nat. Solar Observatory evac mystery

Something has bothered me about this story all afternoon. I went back and scrolled clear to the bottom and look what I found. This adds a new level to this story.

Just in case you were blowing off the tin-foil-hat views of the observatory closure, we note that all these solar/space cams down at the same time:

Reactions: Aces
Something has bothered me about this story all afternoon. I went back and scrolled clear to the bottom and look what I found. This adds a new level to this story.

Just in case you were blowing off the tin-foil-hat views of the observatory closure, we note that all these solar/space cams down at the same time:

Only two of those links opened, the UH Hilo site did say the camera "may be offline due to network or hardware failure." Anything that says those observatories have been evacuated as well?

Only two of those links opened, the UH Hilo site did say the camera "may be offline due to network or hardware failure." Anything that says those observatories have been evacuated as well?
That's all I've got so far.

That's all I've got so far.

Ok, thanks. Btw the last observatory on that list, JAT, has apparently not been operational for a while. The domain is listed for sale for $499.

Reactions: Debi
Thanks. I simply copy pasted the list. Sometimes my feathers give a twitch on a story and i have to go back and look at it again. This one did that for me.

Sunspot Observatory closed due to security issue

Here's an article from the Alamogordo Daily News. Alamogordo is less than 40 miles from Sunspot and ADN is likely the closest newspaper. A couple interesting points from the article:

1) The Apache Observatory about a mile from Sunspot was unaffected by whatever happened and stayed operational.

2) The Otero County sheriff, within whose jurisdiction Sunspot resides, is clearly not amused. He pulled his deputies when no threat was apparent, and speculates the shutdown might have occurred over a personal threat issued against an employee. Also sounds like the Albuquerque FBI office is off his Christmas card list.

Last edited:
Seems the FBI closed the Post Office, too.

The sheriff was confused why the FBI was called since the observatory employees are not federal employees. Postal workers are federal employees, however. So maybe a threat was made against or by a USPS employee?

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
The sheriff was confused why the FBI was called since the observatory employees are not federal employees. Postal workers are federal employees, however. So maybe a threat was made against or by a USPS employee?
OR something got mailed and passed through the post office to the observatory?