NASA Wanted To Vibrate Dead Astronauts’ Bodies To Dust With A Robotic Arm

The freeze-drying process must be 100% efficient, or when it thaws it won't be dust, it will be goo.

If in orbit, just let them de-orbit. You can't buy a more complete cremation than re-entry.

Reactions: Paintman
" it would be pretty scarring for astronauts to have to live alongside the corpse of their fallen friends."

but its OK to look out the window and see your friend being violently shaken to dust by a large robotic arm....hahaha....somehow that just aint right.

Reactions: Duke and Paintman
what if the arm lost its grip on the body, now you just have a robotic arm that flings them out into space.....oooops. and you know they would always be using it to shake up their "tang", chocolate milk , MRE'S and stuff... good thing im not an astronaut huh?
put a couple bored Grunts up there and the station is in serious trouble

Last edited:
When I read the article one thing that stood out is the idea that you can't dump bodies in outer space because of some space junk problems. Isn't the spirit of that law to prevent private companies sending bodies into space for a hefty fee? It seems if somebody died on a space station, that would be a pretty rare occurrence and I doubt it would matter in the grand scheme of things.

When I read the article one thing that stood out is the idea that you can't dump bodies in outer space because of some space junk problems. Isn't the spirit of that law to prevent private companies sending bodies into space for a hefty fee? It seems if somebody died on a space station, that would be a pretty rare occurrence and I doubt it would matter in the grand scheme of things.
why not just tether em all to the back...simple solution

One of my classmates asked Armstrong if they carried suicide pills in the event the ascent stage of the LEM failed. He replied simple, "No need."

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
The freeze-drying process must be 100% efficient, or when it thaws it won't be dust, it will be goo.

If in orbit, just let them de-orbit. You can't buy a more complete cremation than re-entry.
A good idea actually

Reactions: Malaria_Kidd IV
I honestly don’t know what to think of this but I guess they are thinking out of the box for sure. I was a first horrified but after reading the process and reason I can see the issues.

Reactions: Malaria_Kidd IV