NASA scientists flock to the Australian outback to see the one-second 'flash' that could unlock the secrets of Pluto

Cool stuff. Amazing what they can determine from 'simple' experiments. I'm still old school when Pluto was a planet lol. Things change, history changes, planet changes. Some things you just can't teach old dogs or try to convince them for that matter :) Hey, i'm progressive enough to 'get' the 'new' world. Just don't try to force feed it to me lol. I'll get there at my leisure lol.

Reactions: Lynne
Pluto will always be the 9th planet to me. Just because it is a dwarf is not right to down grade it. This was very cool, I hope we get an update on the information gathered.

Reactions: Selectric
I have done a similar experiment a few times. Astronomers will line-up across a geographical area and report the exact time a star is occulted by an asteroid. The precise outline of the object can be determined if you are spread-out over a large enough area and have enough observers, since each observer can only contribute up to two data points. This brings back memories.
One of the first experiments I ever did in astronomy was determining the diameter of Jupiter's satellites using only visual observation and a precise Universal Time clock. I was about 13 years old, my fellow students were college boys and our instructor was the astronomer at the planetarium. He's still alive, retired and looking at the skies from Southern Utah.