Name something you....

Takes math to know how to ballroom dance Paulm. At least the most basic arithmetic. Takes science too - have to know what makes human's feet move. :p
i come from the era of cotillion, where it was forced on every southern child of 14 years old...lol.....knowledge of biology and math did not matter....lol, but actually it was awkwardly fun at the time..

i come from the era of cotillion, where it was forced on every southern child of 14 years old...lol.....knowledge of biology and math did not matter....lol, but actually it was awkwardly fun at the time..

When I got to Langley in the spring of 1980, alot of the people I worked with were totally preoccupied with their daughters' upcoming cotillion. I had no idea what they were talking about, so I asked. When one coworker told me it was their daughter's "coming out," I asked, "Coming out of what?" Surprisingly, none of them ever asked me to dinner to meet their daughters.

When I got to Langley in the spring of 1980, alot of the people I worked with were totally preoccupied with their daughters' upcoming cotillion. I had no idea what they were talking about, so I asked. When one coworker told me it was their daughter's "coming out," I asked, "Coming out of what?" Surprisingly, none of them ever asked me to dinner to meet their daughters.
:p You poor Yankee boy!

Yeah, they looked at me the same way when I asked what "red eye gravy" was.
ROFL! OK, I can laugh because I've experienced this. First marriage was to a Southern guy from Georgia. It was a VERY short marriage, but long enough for me to know the Southerners take some of this quite seriously and look aghast at those who are "uneducated" in "proper" things. Even moving here to southern Indiana was a bit shocking after living as a city girl. School does not teach you the giant differences in culture.

yes, that is taken rather seriously down here....for girls of 16 to 18, cotillion ended with a "debutantes ball", up until the early 80's cotillion was an everyday teaching / class, through school and ended every year with a large "ball"....kinda like prom every year...lol....now its more of a private school or separate class type thing, but the debutantes ball is one grand showing.... to see one, you would think its a royal wedding or something...lol...boy, ppl throw a lot of money into those things in todays world.