Name it...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Name that one time you either regretted you bought something or regretted you didn't buy sometime when given an opportunity.

1610329774513.png

It was a silly thing, but once there was a children's clothing store that sold really nice things. (the styles nowadays have me shaking my head) I remember these smart looking winter coats with fur collars, for little girls, that I longed to buy for my daughter who was ten years old at the time. When I heard that the store was going out of business, I regretted not getting to final sale on time. The coats, which were very expensive, had been marked way down, and had sold out.

Henry-Arms-Mares-Leg-Lever-Action-Pistol.jpg

Ever since I watched Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead or Alive" as a youngster, I wanted a gun like he carried. Technically it's a lever action pistol, but in the gun world they are known as a "Mare's Leg."

Several years ago I bought one chambered in .357 magnum. It took exactly one trip to the range to convince me I had spent a lot of money on a completely worthless weapon. (Also spent even more money on a custom made holster.) There is no good way to shoot it if you want to hit something in particular. You look really cool firing it from the hip "Rifleman style," and people on the range want to try it, but it's worthless as a weapon unless you're in a phone booth with a bad guy.

View attachment 29439

Ever since I watched Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead or Alive" as a youngster, I wanted a gun like he carried. Technically it's a lever action pistol, but in the gun world they are known as a "Mare's Leg."

Several years ago I bought one chambered in .357 magnum. It took exactly one trip to the range to convince me I had spent a lot of money on a completely worthless weapon. (Also spent even more money on a custom made holster.) There is no good way to shoot it if you want to hit something in particular. You look really cool firing it from the hip "Rifleman style," and people on the range want to try it, but it's worthless as a weapon unless you're in a phone booth with a bad guy.
Well that is good to know. The one firearm I have always wanted is a sawed-off shot gun , illegal I know...I still have always wanted one

p.s nice holster!

When I was in highschool I was hanging out at the mall with some friends. We happened into a KayBee Toys store and there on the shelf was the most awesome action figure I had ever seen. It was called the Dark Rider Batman. It was a Batman figure armed with a sword sitting on a black horse reared up on it's hind legs. I instantly knew where in my room I would put it and snatched it off the shelf to view the price tag. Being that is was more than just a simple action figure I knew it would be more expensive than the other Batman or GI Joe toys on the shelf. I experienced disappointment to see that it was more than the few dollars I had with me at the time, followed by elation seeing that it was marked down on sale, then the devastation of realizing that I still couldn't afford it right that moment. I went home empty handed.

However, in my room I had some money which I kept in an old book, as that seemed like a cool hiding spot to a teenager. So when I got home I went to the book shelf, grabbed the money and made plans to go back and buy my Batman figure. It was only two days later when I went back to KayBee Toys but the Batman was gone. I asked the store clerk about it and he said this Batman was part of a limited edition line of Batman toys and the one I wanted had been the last of their inventory. These particular figures were no longer available for the store to even order.

Over the next few years I made it a point to seek out the Batman action figures whenever I went to any toy store, hoping someone would have an old Dark Rider Batman collecting dust off n a shelf somewhere. I have never able to find one in any toys store since. I did see one at a comic book convention once. The guy was asking $100 for it.

I know that I could probably go on to Amazon and get one shipped to me, but it wouldn't be the same. In highschool it was a cool figure I could display in my room. Now as a guy in his mid 40's it's something my wife will look at and wonder if I'm having a mid-life crisis.