Mystery stones from Scotland

I've read about these before but get the impression they're like doodles made by a talented mason or apprentice stone carver but just my uninformed opinion. The vast majority of early stone carvings have some sort of humanoid form depicting spiritual beings like gods, fertility, prosperity etc.

Reactions: Benway and Debi
Didn't some ancient society use stone balls to aim by kicking or something into hoops on a wall? Something like that?

Reactions: TonyM
Didn't some ancient society use stone balls to aim by kicking or something into hoops on a wall? Something like that?

I haven't heard about that but I wonder about this and it's a long shot but maybe golf evolved from some sort of primitive weapon evidence yet to be found. A stick hitting stone balls would not work of course but some other 'warhead'? A spear or arrow would have a greater range and possibly more power than a thrown stone ball unless some means of adding energy like a slingshot.

I haven't heard about that but I wonder about this and it's a long shot but maybe golf evolved from some sort of primitive weapon evidence yet to be found. A stick hitting stone balls would not work of course but some other 'warhead'? A spear or arrow would have a greater range and possibly more power than a thrown stone ball unless some means of adding energy like a slingshot.
Perhaps, however I don't think I'd add intricate designs to stone balls if they were meant to be tossed around or used as a weapon, just curious if the ornate balls are meant more like a trophy or something for a similar style game.

Reactions: Benway
Aztecs / mayans had contests where they kicked a ball through stone hoops in the wall...the balls were leather bladders, and sometimes the heads of their enemies....not stone....ouch, that would hurt kicking stone balls.

Reactions: Benway
Aztecs / mayans had contests where they kicked a ball through stone hoops in the wall...the balls were leather bladders, and sometimes the heads of their enemies....not stone....ouch, that would hurt kicking stone balls.
Ah, right on. Not sure why I was thinking they used stone balls for that sport.

Reactions: TonyM